Jason Dowdell's Auto-Biography
Jason cut his teeth in the business world sweeping the floors of the family lawn & garden distributorship, Central Florida Engines, at the ripe old age of 15. After a summer of sweeping floors he was promoted to pulling orders and through the years worked his way into the air-conditioned offices performing basic bookkeeping duties and troubleshooting lawnmower engine problems over the phone.
At 18 years of age, and with much appreciation for wonderful climate of an air conditioned office, he decided right then that he would do whatever it took to work indoors for the rest of his career. And has done that to this day.
There were 3 important lessons Jason learned while working in that family owned lawn & garden business that he will always be grateful for.
- When the profit margins of your products and services are so thin that only one person in the business can have an executive level salary, your earning potential is capped not by your own abilities but rather by forces out of your control.
- Physical inventory forces you into a box where your earning potential is capped once again by forces out of the individuals control.
- It is much nicer and more comfortable to work inside than it is to work outside.
With those 3 very important conclusions, Jason set out to become an internet entrepreneur. Here are a handful of professional goals Jason set for himself. These goals were set with the ultimate career goal of becoming an accomplished and well respected internet entrepreneur. Jason has met that very goal and enjoys every day of the life he's been able to lead.
- Get a bachelors degree in accounting: Because he knew he'd never teach himself accounting.
- Get a job at a well-known tech company upon graduating with his accounting degree: Jason got a job at Oracle right out of college and received his offer letter the same day of graduation.
- Get into a tech niche that required no startup costs, was service oriented and that could be performed remotely: Jason discovered the fascinating world of search engine optimization aka seo in 1997 and has become one of the best seo consultants in the industry.
- Learn how to develop web applications in order to reduce the time to market and be able to act on his own ideas for new web sites and services: Jason landed a job as a web developer in 2001 without having any formal web development training. Jason is a self-taught web developer.
- Start a web development firm: In Janurary of 2002 Jason incorporated Engine Studio Inc. and landed 10 clients during the first year of business.
- Start an seo consulting firm: In February of 2003 Jason founded Global Promoter Inc. and in June of 2004 GlobalPromoter was acquired by Kowabunga.
Hopefully this will inspire at least one person that may think they don't have the right upbringing or enough money or enough connections to accomplish their life goals. Jason had none of those things but chose to learn from every situation and better himself and those around him every step of the way. The only way to move grow is to use every mistake as an opportunity for learning and treat those around you as you would like to be treated, no matter who they are or what position they hold.
Web Site: Jason Dowdell
Address: Merrit Island, FL 32952
Interviews with Jason Dowdell
Stories about Jason Dowdell
- Friday the 13th Fears Cost U.S. $900 million in lost business
- Who Controls Your Online Reputation? You or Google?
- Wisdom of Crowds Business Model - My Prediction Revisited
- Subway Blogging. Get a Free Pizza When Viral goes Wrong
- Monetizing Latent Media Assets by McKinsey
- Audience Q/A with Wired's Chris Anderson and Yahoo's Jason Zajac
- Q/A with Jason Zajac, GM, Social Media, Yahoo
- Labitat is Live And Launches PPC Audit
- Caption This
- Jason Fried of 37Signals on Web 2.0