Friday, February 19, 2010
1974 BMW 2002 For Sale & Care List
BMW 2002 List
My brother-in-law Sean is way too nice, today he's letting me drive his baby indefinitely while I transition out of my current vehicle. Sean has a 1974 BMW 2002 that's in amazing condition. I currently have a 2008 bmw m3 but will turning it back in when the lease is up in April. In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, Sean gave me a list of things I need to be mindful of while driving his 36 year old bimmer (ironic that the car and I are the same age). I thought this list was pretty awesome so I decided to share it with all of you, enjoy!
- Lowering the driver's side window involves cranking it down half way and then popping it back on its track and then you can finish rolling it down.
- Don't fill it all the way up and then park it on a really hot day. If so, we will have to pay a visit to Andy again. from jason: Andy is the body shop guy that repainted the section just below the gas cap when the gas leaked and pealed a nice section of paint off the rear quarter panel, we don't like going to see Andy unless its on our terms.
- It wakes up slowly and complains for the first few minutes of driving. Just give it lots of gas and it will smooth out and get a much better attitude.
- Every now and then when warm it will chatter in first or second. Don't know why, but more gas or less clutch makes it go away.
- If you ever hit the gas and nothing happens, the gas pedal has popped out of its fitting. It is a good idea to check this from time to time. If this happens while you're driving, pull over to the side of the road and pop it back into place.
- On a hot day, the temperature will get past halfway. I do have an electric fan that cuts on automatically. If it gets to say 80%, something is probably wrong and it should be shut down. That said, the gauge is jumpy, and if the reading seems wrong, tap the gauge and it will be more accurate.
- I do not lock the gas cap. To remove it, just keep turning to the left until it comes off.
- Feel free to enjoy the 5 yr old chewing tobacco in the glove compartment.
- The windows tend to fall down over time, so make sure they are cranked up every so often.
- The gas gauge doesn't work. For city driving, I would usually set the trip meter to 0 at a fill up and get gas when it got to around 200. No worries if you run out. It has been done many times. There is a gas can in the trunk. The low fuel indicator is hesitation followed by a stall about 40 seconds later.
- The car has an electric choke so don't pump the pedal over and over in the morning when you're starting her up or she'll get flooded.
- The driver side door of ye olde 74 2002 can only be locked from the outside. So put the key in the lock after exiting the vehicle and rotate it counter-clockwise to lock the door.
2002 Bimmer Update
So I have some good news for anyone in the market to buy a 1974 BMW 2002 or anyone wondering which BMW 2002 you should buy... This 2002 is for sale! Sean has not set is asking price but anyone interested should use the contact form on mshift and we'll forward your questions on to my brother-in-law Sean. After driving this particular 2002 for nearly a full week now, I can tell you that the car runs like a champ. The handling and acceleration are superb and I get more looks in this car than I do in my 2008 BMW M3, no joke.
By Jason Dowdell at 08:49 AM | Comments (12)