Main > Archives > 2009 > May > 24 Season 8 Online Buzz Follows Season 7 Finale

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

24 Season 8 Online Buzz Follows Season 7 Finale

24 logo

Once again, Jack Bauer is locked in struggle for survival, a terrorist mastermind is being interrogated and fans of Fox's action thriller, 24, are wondering what's around the corner and who will survive through season 8, which is why the phrase "24 season 8" is among the top 20 in Google Trends this morning.

I must admit, I wasn't a huge fan of season six, but the writers won me back during Season 7, with a better cast,feasible political subplots and character development to redeem the series. jack bauer muslim

The final scenes in last night's episode made me wonder:

1. How many times has Jack been on his deathbed?
  2. How many times has a former CTU agent turned sour? (The latest example being Tony Almeida)
  3. How many times has the CIA or FBI arrested Jack, only to release him within an hour?
  4. Did Jack convert to Islam?
  5. Will we be subjected to even more product placements like the Sprint Instinct phone or the Hyundai Genesis?

By Matt O'Hern at 09:05 AM | Comments (48)

(48) Thoughts on 24 Season 8 Online Buzz Follows Season 7 Finale

What exactly were the terrorists going to do with Jack’s harvested organs?
…Chuck his liver into a packed movie theater? (Would it be a violation of the First Amendment to shout, “LIVER” in a crowded theater?)
…Smuggle his kidneys on to a transcontinental flight? (“Enough is enough! I have had it with these mf kidneys on this mf plane!”)

Comments by movielady : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 09:46 AM

Great season. Say what you want about 24 repeating itself, but making the season DVD set available TODAY is a first. Awesome product placement.

Comments by THowell3 : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 09:54 AM

Terrible season. Lazy writing. Laboured plot devices and characterisation. No real explanation for Tony still being alive(not buying Henderson resurection)...Forget bad guy/good guy; don't care. Renee boring. White house infiltraion RIDICULOUS. What they have a 12year old writing those 2 episodes? ..Kim's story crap, season one plot condensed into predictable, boring airport scene. Ending cheap and lazy; Oo, what a shocking cliff hanger, asking the audience to wonder what they've been already chewing over for seven episodes.

Look at examples from endings in earlier seasons. Jack holds dead wife in arms; Jack breaks down in his car, before composing himself and getting back to it; Jack's "It's been an honour" to Palmer. Genuinely engaging television.

Oh, and why does Carlos Bernard walk like he's just pooed himself?

Comments by woodie : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM

This was an awesome ending to the season with a genuine reason for Tony's eratic obsession with switching sides and an incredible performance by Kiefer Sutherland who once again faces death (but will inevitably survive). The last half hour brought real drama to the table in 24 with Tony's monologue about his son and Jack's need for closure on his past being two of the greatest scenes in the history of 24. The writers, despite repeating a few plot lines (Kim be kidnapped again!) have really brought 24 back to its roots and deserve credit for the way they have turned 24 on its head and set it up for a perfect final season. CTU is back in play and season 8 will no doubt be the end of Jack, but what an end it will be to one of the best TV shows ever.

p.s Tony does look like he walks with urine trickling down his leg.

Comments by Tony 'Poo' Almeida : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Tony was shot in the leg toward the end of the show which is why he was limping. Thought I'd point that out.

Comments by Dalton : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 03:12 PM

Fantastic! I honestly thought that Jack was going to die at the end of season 7 but it seems he will live to fight another day!!

Comments by Quintin Rodregos : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 06:38 PM

I like 24 Season 7. Honestly, the last episode had too many commericals in it. Seemed like one hour of show and one hour of commercials. I thought the fans deserved to have everything wrapped up for them this season and not have a cliff hanger. It seemed more like the writers got lazy in the end.

Comments by Beverly : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 07:45 PM

I wasn't impressed this year. My particular beefs:

1. Will Patton's character was way too undeveloped. I fault the writers and the midseason departure of Joel Surnow.

2. Tony-- I';m lamenting over the fact that he gave in to something as simple as revenge and chucked his life down the sewer.

3. Not enough Miles O'brien. He was a favorite of mine and there was clearly some room for his character this year.

4. The worst thing (for me) was the death of Bill Buchanan. He was the most solid character on the show. With CTU returning next year, there was no need for his character to be killed off.

5. Renee Walker making the decision to turn into a female Jack Bauer. I just wasn't feeling it.

Comments by Joe : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 02:46 AM

I love 24. I did not like the soap opera part of the storyline...with his father and brother. That season was the worst of all. I am also a fan of the show Dexter. I do not like how the lead characters in both shows have softened. I understand humanizing Jack Bauer--but I felt that season 7 of 24 was almost a compromise for the liberal whiners in this country. We need more Jack Bauers in this country. Waterboarding is not torture. Jack Bauer always did the right thing for the greatest good. I have no problem with real-life Jack Bauers defending this nation. If one of the people you detain has knowledge of when and where a bomb is going to go off I say you throw the rule book out the window. Political correctness is going to destroy this nation. I like how the character Jack Bauer defended himself when he was on trial.

As far as the Islam part....I read a comment on this board that Jack converted to Islam. He did not. There was no "Allahs" or Muslim prayers in the hospital room. Jack saw the Muslim guy as a spiritual leader who he became friends with.

I liked seeing Renee Walker turning into the female Jack Bauer. I think with everything she experienced in Day 7 and the advice Jack gave her that we are able to see how Jack may have transformed into the man he was before he got sick. I hope Season 8 is not the last season. Something tells me that Jack Bauer does not die and the rumor that 8 is it is just a way to get us to watch with more anticipation. The talk about 24 moving to the big screen---I don't think that will pan out at all. I think that if that happened most people would wait for the DVD to come out. I think the 24 movie series would fail. 24 is the best show ever created! This is my favorite show of all time!!

Comments by Drew Mallo : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 07:34 AM

loved this season and its reminiscent of season 4 that had lousy fading off except we didnt have Jack gettin kidnapped.
1.i predicted tony wanting to kill Adam.

the hurried up this finale winding up loose ends

am seing renee as the new Jane Bauer look out for a spin off.

like the new chloe aka janeanne garafolo

all in all 24 was great...

this year 24 vs Lost

i thought season 24 is running upto season 9?

Comments by Couch Tato : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 03:08 PM

Wow...the season was the best I've seen. I still think that Jack's deatb shouldn't be inevitable. I didn't feel the whole female Jack Bauer scene either because there can be only one Jack and Renee was too much of a good sport. Plus her whiny secretary mentioned Larry...it threw the whole scene off. I give the episode and Season a 10 because I don't think a better story could have been written without boring the show. You can't have a nice show and not have witty parts...their not even that bad to say that the season was terrible...

Comments by Alex Griffith : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 05:26 PM

24 is going to carry on till season 13.
source Wikipedia

Comments by Tariq : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 05:34 PM

24 is the best movie ever created in History.It has all compared to Prison Break.It Combined Love, Romance,Suspence and the greatest action stunts ever. Thanks Jack Bauer, u are the man.

Comments by Murphy Okhere : Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 03:06 AM

The season started off great...Dubakus plot, cool. Bring this "group" after 2/3's the way through, they were fetching it seemed...

As for Renee, you waited all season to see her do something or make a statement, and they don't even show any action from the last scene when she lays her badge down. Come on!

Comments by Jay : Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 05:23 AM

Loved it and definitely much better than the last couple of seasons. Definitely thought Jack was gonna die and that would be it, but good ending. Still think the first two seasons were the best.

Comments by Ben : Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Season 7 lost its way. The white house plot was a little far fetched.

1) Why only one panic room?

2) Why no guards in the underground tunnels?

Ideas for season 8:

1) Jack is an analyst who is occasionally called. Wears a suit for most of the season until hour 17 or so.

2) Someone is tortured early in the season, only to give false testimony which causes the major conflict for the first half. Think "There are WMDs in Iraq," only adapted for a shorter time frame. Perhaps it can happen "pre show" with Renee gathering information which leads to the wrong people arrested (perhaps the very people who could save us...)

3) Jack finds God.

4) What's-her-name-whiney-taylor-girl gets off on a technicality. She and her dad are the primary villains for episodes 15 - 18.

Comments by Edward : Friday, May 22, 2009 at 02:12 AM

Pliz find away to bring back bill buchanan in season eight! he was ma favourate character! ok lets say he resurects from the walls of THE WHITE HOUSE! plizzzzzzzzzzzz

Comments by Ssebu Josh : Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:53 AM

I dont see how anyone enjoyed this season, it was the worst since the third, Jack Bauer needs to be out killing muslim and russian mercenaries, not giving life advice, finding god and going soft. There were to many boring setup episodes that use to set up big twists and it seemed to me that the only 3 twists of the season involved Tony, who, Guess what wasnt dead, With all that said i'll take a bad season of 24 any day over any of the other crap thats on TV. Season 8 can only be an improvement

Comments by Jake : Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM

is tony almeida suffering from split personality or something? first he's evil, then good then evil again all in one day.

I would have preferred it if he just stayed evil throughout the entire season or he is evil and turned good and stayed good. but this flip flopping was just retarded. It's like the writers couldn't make up their minds. end
I'm glad they finally killed off Buhcannon I always thought he was an uninteresting charcater anyway.

I'm glad they finally moved the show to Washington D.C L.A was really getting played out. I mean how many times can one city be attacked over a 10 year period?

Season 7 was hit and miss really. It was still much better then Season 6 (I like many others believe Season 6 should have taken place in China the plot revolving around jack escaping from prison)

still though even the crappiest most mediocre season of 24 is still way better then 99% of the garbage on tv today.

Comments by zain : Friday, May 22, 2009 at 03:45 PM

All in all I think season 7 was the best since season 4. There was only two things that didn't sit right with me in the end. The first was the fact that the writers completely ruined Tony's chance at being a good guy in the end. I mean if they had done that to Chloe the show would probably have lost a significant number of viewers. Jack only has so many friends that he can trust till the end that aren't already dead. The second was the fact that they never broke president Taylor. She was able to make it through the entire day without having to give up her moral righteous indignations simply because Jack took it into his own hands without presidential approval. In every season in which Jack was on good terms with the President he always referred to the Presidents judgment, or at least offered an acceptable alternative.

Comments by eric : Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 01:13 PM

Season 7 explored a different side to a lead character that most shows fail to do. With Jack's speeches to Reene, you can see the moral bariers that jack himself would have had to over-come. To a lesser extent you can relate a similar batlle between chloe and janice. I liked this season very much, season 2 was definitely the best as it had the major shock lines with Sherry and Mike, but season 7 did well to break away from CTU and LA. Maybe with Jack and Chloe in Washington, season 8....CTU Washington???

Comments by Simon Durston : Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 02:03 PM

yo! man i am sick and tired of following 24 its been 8 years jack should die the same way michael scofield died let Kief and Howard Gordon kill 24 the way Prison break was killed

Comments by adil : Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:40 AM

I have not see or watched any film like 24. The producers, directors are just too much. Jack may you live long to give us more of 24

Comments by bobbito : Monday, May 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Agree with Woodie completely; writing of this season seemed to be done by a bunch of folks suffering from ADHD who've been denied treatment for years. VERY weak plots and characters; if the first episodes next season don't show improvement, I'm done.

Comments by wawa39 : Monday, May 25, 2009 at 02:45 PM

tony almeida will be freed in season 8....n he wil work with the CTU....

Comments by Abhi : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 01:12 AM

Season 2 was the best. I enjoyed season 7 but like many others the real draw for me is mean, moody, hard Jack. Please come back from the dead in pissed off season 2 mode!!

Comments by Daniela : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Season 8 should be the last, the writer has shown different forms of attacks and Jack has to die for the series to be complete. Really Bill should have lived to see the end, but things are different. Tony's life was ruined by working for Government so if he decides to revenge, it is his person.

Comments by lenad : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

There is no question that day 7 was amongst the shows finest. In my opinion, day 5 and 7 were the best. There was ample character development for newer cast members and I for one enjoyed seeing the progression of Rene's character from a moralistic & righteous figure unremitting in her quest to uphold the law to a conflicted individual on a slippery slope to Jack's thought process. Conversely, we finally saw Jack more conflicted...still powerful and decisive but when faced with his own mortality, he struggled with his life's journey. The beauty is he did not regret a single decision and that's powerful. The dichotomy between these two central characters was the essence of this season and couple this with a plausible story line (except the whole White House bombing - very far fetched) and you have the brilliance of day 7. Other than Jack I've given up getting attached to characters since they don't seem to last...although I like the servitude of Agent Pearce

Comments by B : Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:37 AM

Off the hook!Long live Kiefer!

Comments by Don Gor. : Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 01:37 PM

My beefs with 24 season 7...

-The "go green" interruptions during almost every episode.

-Janeane Garofalo getting her whack job liberal viewpoints written into her character ("Thats illegal, thats racial profiling, etc")

-They revealed the stem cell possibility of saving Jack way too early in the season, thus ruining the "Jack is dying" ending. Kim's character reintroduced too early as well. Would have played better had that revelation not happened until the last episode.

Comments by Scott Qualls : Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 04:45 PM

I was a litte concerned with the future of the show after season 6. But I think Fox redeemed itself with season 7.

My vote is to bring back the Wayne Palmer and Audrey Raines characters for season 8.

Oh, and it wears a little thin on me when Jack keeps getting arrested and released. I like him better when he's working on the right side of the law.

Comments by The Constant Complainer : Friday, May 29, 2009 at 01:17 PM

The lowdown in this season is when Tony screw Larry Moss of fbi as the good guy. Man, Bernard must be funnily pissed for his very complicated multipolar bad-good-bad-good lazarus man character in comparison to Season 4 of Supernatural. So in essence Larry Moss is the "edgar" of season 7.=Aside from the settling of the issue with the difference of clock of the heartbeat of Tony Almeida and the clock of the heartbeat of Edgar Stiles in the past seasons with this latest season. All in all season 6 and season 7 are fairly nice to me especially with the tech and weapons.==tbc==....

Comments by edgarocs : Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I am from Australia and admit i have really enjoyed all of the 24 series. I bought the season 7 because they show it at 11.30pm in Australia. I am hoping that a season 8 will follow but i heard along the grape vine that Season 7 was the last. Is there a season 8? When is it going to start. Regards
Ron

Comments by digitech2 : Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 02:11 AM

I love season 7..Jack good work.Chloe you are my BEST gal!!!I love your computer brains

Comments by cece : Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 11:55 AM

You guys are all morons...

This season of 24 was so successful for the writers and producers. You people just can enjoy television and over-think everything...typical...

Great season!

Comments by yptozmy : Monday, June 08, 2009 at 01:42 AM

my boyfriend got me addicted to 24 last year when I watched the whole series on DVD. I cant wait to see the next series in the new year. The only let down for me with series 7 was Jack on his deathbed with daughter Kim offering her stemcells for the 2nd time and Renee, does she do a Jack Bauer on Wilson?

Comments by sue sheard : Monday, June 08, 2009 at 04:34 PM

Comments by woodie : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM

^^^^^^^^^THIS PERSON^^^^^^^^^^
YOU ARE SO IGNORANT!!! HOW YOU GONNA DIS 24 SO BAD AND WATCH THE WHOLE THING. 24 IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV HANDS DOWN!! ALSO YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS IS TV JACKBOOTY!! DON'T EXPECT IT TO BE REAL!!!

Comments by 24FAN4LIFE : Tuesday, June 09, 2009 at 04:18 PM

I liked the show, although it wasn't the best one. The one thing this season missed was one of my favorite things of 24. The telephone ring tone of CTU.

I thought they were going to add it when Chole was working for the FBI with the CTU servers. :(

Comments by Monty : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 06:34 PM

So it looks like "Staruck"m from Battlestar Galactica and Freddy Prince Jr. are joining the new CTU set in New York next season. That will be great. Not the biggest fan of Freddy, But Kate is a great atress. She'll be worth while to watch.

Comments by Deadsofa : Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 06:28 PM

This was great.Really jack is doing fantastic.This season make me crazy. Really waiting to watch next season.Best series i have ever seen in my life.Good luck to 24.

Comments by habee : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 03:11 PM

The best season so far, i didn't think season five could be beaten, but the return of Tony Almeida, and his undercover mission, to get revenge for Michelle was very clever. bring on season 8

Comments by Francis Condon : Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 01:38 PM

Overall Season 7 was disappointing, maybe moreso because we had to wait so long for it.

So who are the infiltrators "at the highest levels" in President Taylor's administration? We never found out. Was this intended to be a cliff hanger or was it just a huge hole in the plot that the writers never got around to resolving?

And given that our heroes Bill and Chloe were accessories to the deaths of nearly 300 Americans in order to uncover that plot (together with Tony they were responsible for putting the "CIP device" into terrorists' hands), that's a pretty bloody big hole.

In fact, this was a real departure for 24 - the first time the 'good guys' purposely made it possible for great harm to come to innocents in order to get the bad guys. That's not collateral damage, that's really poor problem solving and it bothers me to no end.

A senator's aide had the access codes to the (only) secure room in the White House and so was able to give them to the bad guys? I don't think so. It simply isn't credible. The Secret Service would be the only people with that information.

Why, ultimately, have the 'bad guys' always been evil white Americans (mostly men) using Muslims and Africans for their dirty deeds in this and other recent seasons? Don't the writers accept the idea that America is not responsible for creating all evil in the world?

When the evil senator was asking Jack Bauer if he regretted anything he had done, why didn't he say "You mean like not letting 5 suitcase nukes detonate on American soil instead of just one? Not letting a stolen nuclear warhead hit downtown LA? Not allowing a biological weapons attack wipe out half of America?" etc etc etc

Like others I lament the loss of Bill Buchanan; he was a terrific character. But his death was highly credible, maybe about the only part of the entire story line that was credible.

I sort of liked Renee Walker (although she was a bit whiny at times) and would like to see her back.

Comments by Laura : Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 02:18 PM

This was a quite good season. Some unlogical stuff here and there but...

Season 1 and 4 are still the best. season 2 and 3 sucks big time.

Comments by tommy : Friday, June 26, 2009 at 05:48 AM

24 is the best series so far. Bauer keep up the good work. u are my hero. wish to see Audrey and chloe in season 8. Best of luck.

Comments by mariam : Friday, June 26, 2009 at 09:45 AM

24 season 7 was good,the idea of kill jack bauer in other to end 24 really sucks because all heros don't die.The name Prison break suck when michael died.I want Bauer to lose his leg so dat he won't be able to go on field work again in that case he will be able to use his brain like chloe and also head CTU LA.

Comments by ABM : Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 05:19 AM

...wow.24 has really been so impressive since season1, which wuz basically about jacks personal life.subsequent seasonz have been so awesome.i m a 21old Nigerian and i love the african terrorists who participated in season7.cant wait for season8....i hope2 enjoy it with my new job...lol.my best chararterz will 4evr remain...jack,audrey,chloe nd the murderer of jacks wife...4gotten her name....i hope 24 never endz.lol.

Comments by Opeyemi : Friday, July 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM

wish i can start all over from season 1 on 24.all the characters in 24 season film deserve to be gievn great awards. Jack sacrificed all the selve in him and everything he possession to end crises that can start a world war.sometimes i begin to imagine this film is real.but i dislike about the 24 is betrayals from unexpected quotas especially from the white house.If every country can have real Jack, Chloe O'brain and Tony Amelda with full intelligent and decision making in fighting for the country and the affair of the poor massess that country will never be compete with on security and bringing out a brain wave to end a crisis.i am still imagining wut will happen in season 7 and 8.I wish Nigeria will learn lessons from this 24 seasons. bringing to justice corrupt leaders and politicians feeding on the pockets of the poor massess. We are really suffering here in Nigeria from the hands of bad leaders.

Comments by Udochukwu Obinna : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 06:46 AM

Enjoyed the series greatly. Wife & I watched it together over a few weeks/months. It is awesome to be able to watch the series in such a way without having to wait weeks for the TV show to develop.

Comments by aron : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 01:24 AM