Thursday, April 09, 2009
Sprint 4G What's Happening Now Ad Gives Twitter TV Love
If you're a fan of stats, you'll love the What's Happening Now 4G Network ad by Sprint (NYSE:S). Twitter is likely a big fan as well. Some of the figures are obviously humorous hyperbole. During the 60-second bombardment of statistics, the voice-over says:Rich Silverstein, co-chairman of Omnicom Group's Goodby Silverstein & Partners, the San Francisco agency that created the campaign, told the Wall Street Journal:
The Now Network the new campaign's slogan, stands for the crazy amount of data that gets pushed through these cellphones now, such as Twitter, Google and GPS.It's no longer just about calling
Sprint's witty ad replaces the personal and direct approach they used with their black-and-white ads featuring their CEO, Dan Hesse.Sprint admitted they were looking for a fresh new angle, and perhaps they're following the lead of the prepaid division, Boost Mobile. I would like to know Sprint's source for some of the stats (some of them are obviously fake). I'm not convinced that 74% of the population understands what Twitter is. Other interesting "stats" during the ad include:
Welcome to the Now Network. Population: 49 million.
- 23 million cell phone calls are being made
- 380,000 people just hung up.
- 1 million emails are en route.
- 7% of them contain the words, miracle banana diet
- They're hitting 6,3000 spam filters, now.
- Twice as many people are searching Dog on Google versus Cat
- Tiny the talking boxer is being uploaded from Youtube to some one's cell phone, now.
- 2 million people are sending a text message during a business meeting- the most popular subject? Diapers.
- 233,000 people just Twittered on Twitter.
- 26% of you viewing this have no idea what that means.
- 6,000 people are researching restaurants in a cab.
- 29 of them just left their phone in that same cab.
- 13,000 people just landed and are switching on their phones.
- This is what's happening now.America's most dependable 3G network, bring you the first wireless 4G network.
- Sprint, the now network.
*UPDATE: See the second ad in Sprint's Happening Now commercial series
FYI: Sprint's 4G network will launch in the following cities this year: Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Forth Worth, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland and Seattle.What did you think of this ad? I thought they took the best elements of the "I'm an IBM-er" campaign and put a humorous twist on it.
By Matt O'Hern at 05:16 PM | Comments (6)