Tuesday, April 14, 2009
IBM Smarter & Sprint Now Network Commercials Tout Connections
As I was watching 24 last night, I saw another installment of theHappening now commercial series by Sprint (NYSE:S) The theme was relationshIps. In case you missed it, here's a a video and a rundown of the stats from Sprint's 4G network.
Welcome to the now network. Population: 49 Million.
- 379 couples are breaking up
- 253 by phone.
- 42 by E-Mail. (I've been there.)
- 84 by text message. (The lowest form.)
- 13,000 people are streaming Pandora on a bus.
- 3,700 people just found all their friends on Loopt.
- 92 just realized they were in the exact same place.
IBM has a similar series based on the theme of smarter networking. One of their most recent ads, Smarter Connections, hypes the possibilities instrumented, interconnected, and intelligent planet.
Soon there will be 1 trillion connected devices in the world.
Can you hear them?
- Food is talking to store shelves.
- Cargo containers are talking to supply chains.
- Powerlines are talking to the grid.
- Now that's smart.
- Systems that allow carrots to tell truck drivers how fresh they are.
- Roads alert cars about traffic patterns.
- Cars that learn mechanics before they break down.
When things communicate,systems connect and the world gets smarter.I'm an IBM-er. Lets build a smarter planet.
Personally, I prefer the Sprint Commercial to IBM. Both ads focus on networking, but Sprint uses a humorous approach, while IBM's hyopthetical presentation comes across as the boastful teacher's pet at the front of the class. Having said that, I think IBM has strengthened their brand as a visionary, progressive tech company.
By Matt O'Hern at 11:26 AM | Comments (0)