Main > Archives > 2009 > March > G2 Commercial stars Garnett & Kevin the swimmer: Everyone is an athlete

Monday, March 16, 2009

G2 Commercial stars Garnett & Kevin the swimmer: Everyone is an athlete

g2 logo

You may have noticed the new Gatorade G commercial for G2 if you watched the latest episode of House on Fox tonight.

It stars Kevin Garnett, and Kevin, the average swimmer.

Kevin, the swimmer:"I've never been called the big ticket."

Garnett: "I've never been handed a pink slip"

Kevin, the swimmer: "I've never had to fill the holes in my sneakers, with cardboard."

Garnett: "I've never had to tell my wife, 'we can't pay the mortgage.'

Kevin, the swimmer: "I've never led the Boston Celtics to a title."

Garnett: "I've never used the backstroke, as a coping mechanism, but I have tried, as hard as I can....

Kevin the swimmer: "To be the best that I can."

The commercial targets middle class Americans with the average Kevin appearance , the mortgage and pink slip references. Gatorade's coupling of the sports celebrity with the commoner accentuates the theme of the G Campaign: Gatorade is redefining what it means to be an athlete.

Look around you, and you'll see; athletes are everywhere. As long as you are pushing yourself physically to achieve .you are an athlete. And Whatever you strive for, Gatorade wants to celebrate your game.

Update: Read New G2 Commercial w/ Garnett & Swimmer Provokes Angry Responses

(26) Thoughts on G2 Commercial stars Garnett & Kevin the swimmer: Everyone is an athlete

This is the most arrogant and insensitive commercial I have ever seen. Sure, I'll bet it really connects with about 10 million people that HAVE been handed a pink slip, told their wife they can't pay the mortgage and may end up putting cardboard in their shoes.

Getting noticed is one thing. Ticking off millions of people is quite another.

Comments by Jim : Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Woah, calm down.. they're just trying to sell some Gatorade.

Comments by Someone who isn't crazy : Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I don't know what this commercial is trying to say, but I am offended. I have been laid off for the last several months and paying our mortgage is an issue that we think about every day due to no fault of our own.

Comments by Tom Renfrow : Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I understand that they are trying to sell Gatorade, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. Targeting those that are now unemployed and losing their house, may not be the strongest market for their product. Spending the same amount of money on the ad campaign helping those individuals might be a more effective promotion.

Comments by thefashionis : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM

This was a slap in the face. I also just lost my job and don't need a reminder that there are multi-million dollar athletes that don't need to worry about money. It's very insensitive.

Comments by GetAClue : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 02:00 PM

Agreed. I keep seeing this commercial everywhere and the message of the haves vs the have nots is cruel and not at all conducive to brand loyalty. Its a horrible commercial!

Comments by epizia : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 01:52 AM

GREAT! some millionaire showboating and bragging about how he never had to deal with the harsh realities that many of us are living with just because he is so awesome at his game. Anyone who ever did have to tell his wife they can't pay the mortgage this month is feeling like he's been kicked in the eye.

Comments by amic : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 08:45 PM

What a slap in the face with that commercial.The person that created and bought this commercial I guess have never been down on their luck but for the millions that are and the one that are still in a world of hurt I can imagine we will all run out and buy Gatorade! Don't think so. I will not buy that product until that commercial is pulled and the public is given an apology.

Comments by janice knox : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 09:51 PM

Telling your wife "We can't pay the mortgage this month, honey" is a horribly crushing feeling and makes you feel like you want to die. Now, thanks to Kevin, I get to relive that feeling while watching tv with my wife next to me in a house I may not own for too much longer.

Comments by john macabe : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 02:21 AM

So Gatorade's solution to crushing financial loss, shame, and the type of sartorial fix ups that homeless people have to use on their shoes is to drink Gatorade so you can feel some paltry measure of similarity with a grossly over-compensated and privileged athlete? i just saw this commercial for the first time and I honestly thought it was leading up to a call to arms to help each other out and donate to charity in these difficult times but instead I'm being exhorted to drink sugar water? What on earth? Whoever came up with this idea might be the next person who deserves one of those pink slips.

Comments by smishy : Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Not only is this ad unintentionally offensive but it plays repeatedly. one time is bearable but to have to hear this elitist tripe 3 or 4 times in the course of watching house is just a little too much. it's like being flipped off while driving, except this is like being flipped off 4 or 5 times by the same jerk.

Comments by james keb : Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 03:20 AM

i really like gatorade G2 - in fact i am drinking it right now. i keep seeing this damn commercial however, so i googled it, and ended up here. this commercial is so stupid it makes me want to switch to powerade. which does not taste as good :( the marketing team is so far off on this one it's ridiculous.

Comments by elisa : Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 10:49 PM

THE WORST & MOST INSENSITIVE commercial to be aired.
Since Pepsi owns Quaker & Gatorade, I will make sure NEVER to buy any of their products.
What jerks - I guess it is their way of saying to 5.2 million Americans who are now collecting unemployment - WE DON"T CARE ABOUT YOU.

Comments by lin soderlund : Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 06:59 PM

"You never see a homeless guy drinking a Gatorade." - George Carlin

Comments by aaron : Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Horribly insensitive advertising. It kills me every time I see it because my husband did have to tell me we can't pay the mortgage and he's no less of a man than they are. He just has different circumstances. We work our rear-ends off every day. We are small business owners that are taking a hard hit from the current economic crisis. Booo Gatorade.

Comments by km : Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 01:07 AM

I agree with some of the comments above. This is a shockingly obnoxious, insensitive and stupid campaign. It's disgusting.

Comments by Tom : Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I find this commercial VERY offensive!!! As a person who is fighting depression, anxiety and fibromylagia after having a nervous break-down, this just reminds me of all that I have lost and may never be able to do again! This is just like a slap in the face. Since we lost my income, it has been a struggle to keep the utilities on and the house payment made. Does Gatorade care about the thousands + people out there who are in trouble right now? To say that this is offensive is to say too little!
I suggest that everyone who is offended by this or similar commercials contact Gatorade. The more people who complain, the more likely they will pull these commercials. The following link will take you to the "contact Gatorade" page.

This e-mail will get to Gatorade public relations.

gatoradecommunications@gatorade.com

Comments by Sheryl S. : Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Remember, when sending comments to gatorade, to be as respectful as possible. An overly negative email or message will likely not help much. Swearing, or other offensive words, will likely have your email deleted before they've even read it. However, stand by your facts and arguments, and request action (I requested action in the form of pulling the commercials and a public apology).

Comments by Sheryl S. : Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Get over it angry people. I have been unemployed for over 8 months, and now in foreclosure. My wonderful house is now going to a sheriff sale on Apr 30. This commercial was awesome. Maybe because I am an athlete.

Comments by Brian : Sunday, April 05, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Perhaps elitism is in order given the fact that the majority of viewers are unable to grasp the message of this commercial. There is no sense of arrogance in the ad and any suggestion to the contrary is a false inference.

The commercial presents one the most recognizable athletes of our time and a swimmer, a depiction of a seemingly average American athlete. With the dialogue, the two are stating that they cannot relate to each other's situations. Garnett has never had to face the swimmer's struggles: presumably being laid off, failing to pay his mortgage and his bills. The swimmer was never tasked with leading a sports franchise.

Yet, the common theme that binds them, the message of the commercial that is apparently being ignored because irony is now a lost art, is that both the NBA superstar and the average swimmer are athletes. They can relate, not in their finances, but in their determination to be the best they can be. What separates them fiscally is insignificant because they are bound by this common desire.

But, whatever, everyone grab their pitchforks and let's burn down Pepsi.

Comments by The Two-Percent : Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:51 PM

What in the world is everyone so upset about? Kevin Garnett has known poverty. He's probably known more poverty than the people complaining. But he's worked countless hours perfecting a craft, and now he's being rewarded. This commercial only tries to appeal to the athlete in all of us. Is it misguided? Yes. Does it miss its mark? Yes. Offensive? Heck no. Get over yourselves, learn some humility.

Comments by bryan : Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so upset, except perhaps because the commercial is being seriously misunderstood. Gatorade is not attempting to be elitist, in fact, they are doing quite the opposite. Whatever one person says they haven't _____, it means that the other person in the commercial has. In this manner, both the athlete and common man are paralleled in that they have had hardships. If one man says I've never had to tell my wife I've never had to put cardboard in the holes of my shoes (e.g. Kevin), this means that the other person (Garnett) HAS. Ultimately, the commercial arranges the difficulties both people in the commercial have faced and unites them under their perseverance to give it their all under any condition.
If you took the time to understand the commercial, you would realize Gatorade is attempting to empathize with you, not alienate or offend you.

Comments by acolombianp28 : Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:46 PM

Are you guys really that stupid???
omg let me explain as the guy above me tried to do. They are both showing how hard there life was, Garnett had to put card board into his shoes when he was in Highschool cause his mom couldnt buy him new ones, etc...99.9% of all NBA players went through more hardship than you can ever imagine growing up. You complain because it hurts that these things are happening to you, but Im sick of hearing athletes are over payed. WTF do any of you realize what it takes to be in the NBA??? Practiicing from 3rd grade till college everyday at least 6 days a week lifting etc and there is no gaurentee they will make. they all love the game that much, they bring home the gold for our country, what the @#$! have you done lately?

Comments by Guy : Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

the guy above me nailed it just right. also somewhere above me some lady said my husband had to tell me he couldn't pay the mortgage. your all full of it if things are really that bad for you here is an idea, cancel the god damn cable. also think about this for a second how about you quit pissing and moaning about a Gatorade commercial they didn't lay you off, get mad at your company not gatorade, that commercial was excellent telling ppl anyone can succeed if you try, but no you ppl want to cry that Garnett is financially fine and your not. Give me a fu@#$ break! oh and one last thing why is it that if you add up all the money every athlete makes they still dont equal, Bill Gates, and the Donald not to mention the other 100 plus Billionaires, but no one crys to them to give to charity, go on NBA cares to see what NBA players give back you all make me sick you must be johova witnesses.

Comments by The answer : Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I've been unemployed for the past 21 years of my life, suffered physically deforming injuries that bar me from participating in water-sport... But I have Tried...As hard as I can...To be the best that I can....

Comments by kevin : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM

obviously they are relating the pro athlete's poverty to the only poverty a middle class white guy faces, not being able to pay for their house, not their shoes. Don't be so self centered its not about the actual housing crisis

Comments by talker : Friday, June 05, 2009 at 03:20 PM