Main > Archives > 2009 > March > Boost Mobile's New TV Commercial Features Grown Man Riding Baby Carrier

Friday, March 20, 2009

Boost Mobile's New TV Commercial Features Grown Man Riding Baby Carrier

Boost Mobile, the pre-paid division of Sprint (NYSE: S) just launched a new commercial for its "Unwronged" campaign, and it's the funniest ad I've seen in the series. The 30-second clip features another "wrong" scenario where a grown man is attached to his father's' chest via a baby carrier.

What, you think this is wrong? Because I'm a man.........baby? I'll tell you what's wrong. It's my old cell phone company charging me a bunch of hidden fees. That's why I got Boost Mobile. Their $50 monthly unlimited plan has no hidden fees. I happen to like that. I also happen to like breast milk.

Boost teamed  with 180LA to develop an  "edgy nationwide campaign portraying humorous situations that most would consider 'wrong,'
Each commercial indirectly attacks Boost's competitors' and their deceptive billing fees: Boost hopes to showcase this "wrong" in the wireless industry and appeal to its new target market- savvy, value-seeking customers.

I'm curious to see how the public reacts to the commercial. Motrin's "We feel your pain" ad about baby carriers sparked a controversy that irritated mothers across the nation.

Other ads in the series include two pigs eating ham,  a woman with extremely long armpit hair riding in the front seat of a tandem bike, and  a coroner who uses the "5-second rule" after his breakfast burrito falls on a corpse. You can read my first post about the creative process 1080 used for the Unwronged commercials, which includes a behind the scenes video with Matt Carter, President of Boost.

By Matt O'Hern at 09:52 AM | Comments (23)

(23) Thoughts on Boost Mobile's New TV Commercial Features Grown Man Riding Baby Carrier

This commercial is disgusting and I would never use a company that finds this amusing.

Comments by Robin : Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I think it's funny -- and the guy in the carrier's (named Steve Guttman, BTW) is a great fit for the spot.

Comments by Brett : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 07:14 AM

Brett, how is "I also happen to like breast milk" funny? This commercial looks like it was written and directed by thirteen year olds. Your sense of humor is terrible.

Comments by CinnamonChocolate : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 09:53 PM

I am all for pushing boundaries, and I have no problem with most of the commercial. However, the comment "I also happen to like breast milk" made me sick. I am extremely disappointed in Sprint, the parent company of Boost.

Comments by xjay : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Anyone who has a problem with this ad is over-thinking things. This ad is hilarious. None of the other Boost ads have actually been funny. This one is extremely funny with or without the breast milk line. Get over yourselves. Is this worth getting mad about? The only thing funnier than this ad is the fact that you people are wasting time being offended by the idea of a grown man drinking breast milk. WACK.

Comments by Daniel : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 01:44 AM

OK, I worked on the commercial so I can clear a few things up. The breast milk comment was not meant to be sexual. It was basically, showing he was a man and still a baby. It was one of many comments that included about diapers, pacifiers, etc. The breast milk was the funniest of the bunch.

I am shocked some of you are so upset about it.

Comments by Flavio : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 02:32 AM

It's weird but I could handle that up until the breast milk comment. Somehow that just seemed perverted to me. It's disgusting.

Comments by Katherine : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 07:45 PM

I think the commercial is disturbing and disgusting and another example of how our sense of good taste has deteriorated.

Comments by Marie : Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 08:58 PM

I PROMISE you, I am SO REPULSED by the Boost ads, I will NEVER, EVER buy their product. PROMISE. I want to HURL when I see the woman with 3 ft. long underarm hair!!!!

Comments by MJ : Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM

This spot is seriously tacky, unfunny and tasteless. Some people like tasteless, that seems to be a trend in humor. It surprises me how my 20-something sons can find this sort of thing amusing.I think what happened is an entire generation of ad copywriters was lost to AIDS, and we're left with upstarts who have no idea what the hell is funny. It's not ironic, it just speeds across boundaries of conventionality. It's memorable, yes, but only because it makes one cringe. I predict it will be pulled in some markets. That breast milk comment will get it squashed. It will be cited as this year's worst commercial. Yet the creators will congratulate themselves, as even bad attention is attention. Other than being reasonably good video editing, it's crap. Do they give Razzies for tv commercials? I vote for this one.

Comments by yabbi : Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM

your ads are disgusting!!!!!!

Comments by lee taylor : Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 03:04 PM

This ad represents an all time low for our culture. No wonder other countries hate us. Totally classless.

Comments by Dawn : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 06:15 PM

Disgusting, repulsive commercials. The underarm hair and the man baby are the worst commercials I have ever seen.

Comments by MP : Wednesday, April 01, 2009 at 04:13 PM

That's not a manbaby. Here are some real ManBabies:

Comments by Kris : Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 01:04 PM

The Boost commercials ARE Funny!
I especially like the one with the pigs having HAM dinner! Edgy! Their acting is so on! Keep it up Boost!
(Oh, and you folks so terribly disgusted, LIGHTEN-UP! Keep telling yourselves,"It's only a commercial, it's only a commercial..."!)

Comments by Char : Monday, April 27, 2009 at 04:23 PM

That breastmilk comment is sick because breastfeeding mothers are the ones who bear the burdens of people's disapproval of us nursing in public, nursing our babies past certain ages, as if it were something dirty and innapropriate. Nursing mothers are fighting to normalize something that has been shamed for so long, this comment in this ad makes me very uncomfortable, without overthinking it at all, just as an immediate response. Anything that contributes to the ideas of breastfeeding being wierd and innaproppropriate contributes to the battle I fight everytime I get disapproving looks when I'm nursing my babies.

Comments by Rachel : Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I'm also going to guess that the overwhelming majority of nursing mothers are not going to find this funny, which should mean something to people if they had a conscience.

Comments by Rachel : Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Some of you people are wrapped to tightly, relax, go with the flow. The commercials are great. Great work dudes. And dudettes. Deep breath for all you haters. Change the channel if you do not like it, no one said you must sit there and read it. Your life, your decisions, but don't put your decisions on my life.

Comments by steve : Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:23 AM

I'm a nursing mother and this commercial cracks me up, every time. Don't presume to speak for what I would or would not find funny.

Comments by emily : Monday, May 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM

lol.. these commercials are funni and tricky thats why i will neva want a boost mobile phone....

Comments by naughty : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 09:13 AM

I find commercials about women not "feeling fresh" more gross than this! I'm eating a lovely dinner and out of nowhere, I'm smacked in the face with a mother and daughter sharing an intimate moment about vaginal itching, dryness, and stench! THAT'S far worse than this!

Comments by Ihpirej : Friday, August 21, 2009 at 07:25 PM

Come on people. Undo your top buttons and have a sense of humor. This is hilarious to watch a grown man baby. So different and original. The breast milk comment.......isn't that what some babies drink? Lighten up!

Comments by Glenn Rodman : Sunday, January 03, 2010 at 06:33 PM

Your phones suck stop stealing from people

Comments by Mark : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 at 08:49 AM