Main > Archives > 2009 > February > Lookout Target and Wal-Mart: ALDI Stores Are Coming

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Lookout Target and Wal-Mart: ALDI Stores Are Coming

aldi

While millions of companies scramble for cost-cutting solutions in this economic recession, one store is already operating with a minimal staff, but it's thriving, with 8,500 stores worldwide, including 1,400 in the United States, and more to come.

If you live in the suburbs of the New York or Philly, you may have noticed a new grocery store with an unfamiliar name: ALDI -short for Albrecht Discounts, named after Karl Albrecht and Theo Albrecht, brothers who founded the company.

Before you head to ALDI's, you should bring your own bag- seriously. Leave behind your credit card or checkbook. To save time and processing fees, ALDI only takes debit cards and cash.  ALDI provides bags, (5 cents for paper, 10 cents for plastic), but they encourage shoppers to recycle their old ones. It's an eco-friendly and enviro-friendly move.

aldi quarter signAs you approach the entrance, you'll notice that there aren't any cart attendants walking around, and all the carts are organized.That's because ALDI thought ahead and eliminated the overhead cost of cart attendants. (Layoff #1 avoided)
Instead, they give the customer incentive to return the cart. You unlock a cart by placing a quarter into a slot placed on the handle, once you return the cart and lock it back into place, the cart returns your quarter. The "Cart Rental" technique reduces overhead costs, and maintains a clean looking parking lot, unlike Wal-Martor Target, where customers tend to just leave the cart wherever they please.

Once you're inside, you'll wonder how they fit so much food into one space, without creating a sense of claustrophobia. aldi aislesEach ALDI store is only four-to-five lanes wide, and all of the food items are displayed in their original shipping pallets, which save space and money.
aldi wafflesEach store sells approximately 1,400 regularly-stocked items, from staple foods to wine. Each week, the store has an item in "Special Purchase", which can range from computers to furniture.

Most of the brands are generic, but you can find recognizable names such as Healthy Choice, Pringles and Eggo. Compared to major retail stores, ALDI customers save 16 to 40 percent on private label or store brands at traditional supermarkets. ALDI also offers higher wages to its workers. Cashiers start at $10 per hour and store manager trainees start at $20 per hour, and every employee who works at least 20 hours per week receives full medical and dental insurance plus 401k.
When you've filled you cart and checked-out at the cashier, you bag your own groceries. ALDI avoids the cost of bag boys, and passes the savings along. Obviously, the bag-it-yourself method is a major turn-off for certain customers, particularly if they're older, but I know plenty of people who would rather do it themselves because the bag boys screw it up so often.(layoff#3 avoided)

If you're less concerned with name brands and tired of the hustle and bustle of the major retailers, check out ALDI. You may not become a regular customer, but you'll walk out with much more cash in your back pocket. Just don't forget that quarter.

(33) Thoughts on Lookout Target and Wal-Mart: ALDI Stores Are Coming

I, for one, can't wait to welcome our new ALDI overlords.

Comments by Edward : Friday, February 06, 2009 at 01:34 AM

I've just started shopping at Aldi within the last three months or so. Let me say that it is very cheap. On snack foods, you'll save much more than 40 percent on certain items.

For the vast majority of generic brands I've tried, their quality has been fine. Plus, they have a double money back guarantee which I have yet to bother with for the one or two items I didn't care for.

If you want to stretch your dollar farther, this is the place to go. Wal-Mart saves you money. Aldi, if they carry the same product, will usually save you more.

Comments by Geoff : Saturday, February 07, 2009 at 02:22 PM

Do you have plans for a Savannah GA. store in the near future ?
We sure could use one.
Sincerely Bill Holden

Comments by Bill Holden : Monday, February 09, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I live near Knoxville, TN and understand a new store is coming to our area soon but can't find out exact location. I grew up shopping at Aldi in IL,, moved to CA where there were no Aldi. One son lives in Wichita, KS where there are many Aldi and the other lives in Louisville, KY, also home to Aldi. So for the past several years I have left suitcase room for my many Aldi purchases. We currently drive to KY to shop at the Corbin store, approximately 100 mi. from here. I would love to know when/where our Aldi will be. Thanks so much. A neighbor who lived in IL prior to moving to TN is also an Aldi shopper and also goes to KY to shop. We can't wait to shop here in E. TN.

Comments by Jan Harris : Friday, February 13, 2009 at 01:34 PM

I would love to see an Aldis open in the Gloucester, Va. area. I shopped in an Aldis for the first time this past weekend while in Danville,Va. it was a great shopping experience and only wish we had a store like that closer to my home as I would be able to forget about other supermarkets and stores like Walmart. Please look into the Gloucester area as you sure would boost our economy.

Comments by jackie : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:03 AM

Please consider opening a store in Gloucester, Va. It is an ever growing community with only very limited stores for groceries. Walmart not having any real competition leaves it not well stocked.

Comments by Sara : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 09:57 PM

When will the ALDI store on 83rd&Parnell Chicago, Illinois 60620 be opening, and where can I apply.

Comments by Denise Johnson : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 at 06:23 PM

I live in El Paso, TX where there is no Aldi's and doesn't look like there's going to be one anytime soon...bummer! My folks live in Cedar Rapids, IA and have had an Aldi's for quite a few years. We always go shopping there when I'm in town. I always do price comparison...here's just a few examples. Aldi's 3 pack of fresh Romaine lettuce hearts...$1.78...Walmart's price...$2.89. Aldi's off-brand of Cream of Mushroom soup....52 cents...Walmart's Greal Value brand...$1.18! The list goes on and on. I envy any of you who has an Aldi's nearby or is going to get one. LUCKY STIFFS!!!

Comments by Amy : Wednesday, August 05, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Please Please Please bring an Aldi to our town (Detroit Lakes, MN). We have a super walmart and 1 grocery store and our dollar store sucks, seriously. I would love to shop at an Aldi and i know alot of people in this town and the surrounding area that would love it too. Alot of people hate going to walmart here, its sooo busy and the 1 grocery store has high prices because they really dont have any competition.

Comments by joy : Wednesday, August 05, 2009 at 06:15 PM

Is there an ALDI Store in the Houston area?

Comments by Princess : Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 04:47 PM

I have an Aldi near my house and I absolutely LOVE it! It saves me so much time and money compared to the big supermarkets. The quarter for a cart idea is great. It gets people to actually put their cart back for their quarter back. This is a briliant idea!

Comments by Jane : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 01:25 PM

I live in Blue Springs,MS and moved from Memphis,TN.I sure miss shopping at Aldi's!We need an Aldi in Tupelo or New Albany-no more Wal-Mart shopping!The store would get a lot of business here.Please build one here soon!

Comments by Lauren : Thursday, October 01, 2009 at 11:31 AM

We would greatly appreciate an Aldi store in Warrenton, N. C. We only have one grocery store. We have one grocery store in Norlina, which is about 5 miles from Warrenton. One in Macon, N. C. would be nice because you would get a lot of the lake people plus all the surrounding areas.

Comments by Myrtle : Friday, October 02, 2009 at 06:22 PM

An Aldi's opened up this year in Tampa not too far from my home. I absolutely love it. Everything is clean, efficient and super inexpensive. Staff is responsive (no wonder as they're not being paid like slave labor). I've saved hundreds of dollars over the lsst several months. They really do things right!

Comments by Joanne : Sunday, October 04, 2009 at 03:30 PM

I LOVE shopping at ALDI, but the closest store is in Marinette, WI, a 2.5 hour drive from our home. Marquette, MI would be a perfect site for a new ALDI store. Please consider us in your expansion plans.

Comments by Mary : Monday, November 02, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Are the ALDI comming soon to the Portland Oregon/Vancouver Washington area and when????

Comments by Bonnie Linge : Thursday, November 05, 2009 at 03:58 PM

I hope ALDI opens 10,000 stores across the US. Then regular supermarkets can go back to selling higher quality products and let the scum who want the bottom of the barrel cheap crap will have someplace to go. Safeway and Kroger have been trending down in quality to be able to please the low life now plaguing their stores. Maybe ALDI could cut a deal with Goodwill to open in the same burned out old strip malls.

Comments by Number One : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 04:07 PM

Aldi is an amazing experience. Their variety is excellent and their prices are extrodinary. Ever since they arrived in western N.Y. I have gone to the store almost exclusively. The quality of their generic products are equivalent to the name brands at a dramatic savings.

Comments by stephen abrams : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

We would love to see an Aldi in Winder, Georgia.

Comments by Mary Thomas : Friday, November 13, 2009 at 05:28 PM

Do you have an Aldi coming to N.P.R.-P.R. Florida area?I have visited your Palm Harbor and do ENJOY it.Please bring an Aldi to Port Richey,Hudson,etc...way.Thank You....

Comments by Sandra Drenner : Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 09:17 AM

I would love to see an Aldi's in Baton Rouge or Denham Springs La.

walmart is horrible!!

Comments by WANDA MCLEOD : Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 04:34 PM

PLEASE bring an Aldi to Perry, FL we are a small yet stable town in the crook of Fl just 55 miles from Tallahassee. I lived in KY at one time and shopped at the Aldi in Elizabethtown.

Comments by Dodie M. Davis : Saturday, December 05, 2009 at 12:35 PM

does aldi"s franchise?, i could be imterested if so. please contact me

Comments by tim hackney : Saturday, December 05, 2009 at 07:12 PM

What are Aldi's hiring practice of older people with experience? Do they only hire younger people who are recent grads?

Comments by Janne : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 01:25 PM

Princeton, KY. could use a aldi store the only aldi is in Paducah ,or Hopkinsville, KY. Princeton needs a good discount groc store. people travela good ways to shop at a aldi.please help .

Comments by SUSAN.WILKERSON : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Here in SW Ohio aldi has been here for a few yrs. It started as a very low competive priced grocery. Last yr they built a new store. Prices are higher than Kroger, Marsh`s. No longer competive. Save a lot grocery and wally world are very closely priced the same.

No aldi for me too high priced.

Comments by hairy hole : Sunday, February 07, 2010 at 08:16 PM

WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A aldi NEER INVERNWSS FL

Comments by Rita : Friday, February 26, 2010 at 08:51 AM

I shopped at Aldi in Chicago during college. I live in Houston now and REALLY wish Aldi would open stores in this area. They would do very well.

Comments by Heather : Sunday, August 08, 2010 at 02:43 PM

please bring one to Lenoir City TN.

Comments by linda : Friday, March 04, 2011 at 09:24 AM

please bring one to Lenoir City TN.

Comments by linda : Friday, March 04, 2011 at 09:26 AM

please bring one to Lenoir City TN.

Comments by linda : Friday, March 04, 2011 at 09:26 AM

I love the ease of shopppin, good quality of most choices, great special finds and the real savings. I shop at Aldis first, then head off to Walmart for certain items. We live in N. Georgia and plan to move to Oriental NC. The nearest Aldis is in Kingston NC - about 60 miles away so I am hoping Aldis comes into either Newbern or Babyboro, NC both close by. Oriental is really small so I'm not holding my breath. The are a lot of people of slender means in this area that would really benefit.

Comments by Hermina Friedmann : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 09:24 AM

Americans never learn, first we grow to depend on foreign oil, now we are going to depend on foreign company for cheap grocery. We hate Walmart because it is owned by one of the richest American family, do you know Aldi is owned by the richest man in Germany, and it is privately owned? Each Aldi store only has 2-4 employees. I don't think they hire any older people, because you have to move quickly, do everything from cleaning to stocking to check out. I am sure prices are going to go up, if the competitions are gone. If you compare their brand to store brand, they are not that much cheaper. It is sad that pretty soon Americans won't be owning anything.

Comments by Duff : Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 03:21 PM