Main > Archives > 2009 > February > iPhone Issues: Slow Recharge for Dead Battery

Friday, February 20, 2009

iPhone Issues: Slow Recharge for Dead Battery

If Blackberry wants material for their next commercial, I have the perfect anti-iPhone anecdote.

On two different occasions during the past couple weeks, I became a victim of the iPhone's slow recharge speed.  I was spilling my guts and emphasizing a crucial point during a pivotal conversation with a "friend" (the controversial  word which prompted my call in the first place) when my phone died. I knew my power was draining, because that annoying indicator told me, but I figured I could plug it in and get back to business- Nope.

Two-hours later, my phone was still in the "Red" zone, and I was still in the 'Friend' zone. I couldn't even access the home screen to text. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. (The fire was definitely out.)

Have you ever rambled on about a certain point or topic, only to hear silence on the other end?  It usually goes like this:

Anyway, I know I talked your ear off, but I just had to get some things off my chest....(silence) What? Now you don't have anything to say? Hellllo?

At that point,  you realize your phone died somewhere in the middle of your rant, but you have NO idea what point of your rant it was. So they could have heard anything from  the first five seconds to the most critical segment of your speech. Thanks to iPhone, I'll never know!

Last night, I used all my battery life, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's a phone problem or charger problem, because it was still in the red when I woke up this moning. I want fellow iPhone owners to tell me how long it takes to recharge your phone, and if you have your own story, feel free to share it with me.

By Matt O'Hern at 10:26 AM | Comments (22)

(22) Thoughts on iPhone Issues: Slow Recharge for Dead Battery

Yes, its true. when your battery drains and the iphone turns itself off, then shows the recharge symbols it takes me more than 24 hours to recharge my phone. i know this is NOT NORMAL. I have 3 jailbroken iphones and they all do the same. i can leave it plugged in for hours and it will turn on when it feels like it. I have rebooted my iphones in the past and the problem still occurs. I even got a new iphone as replacement from Apple and this still occurs. It usually occurs when my battery is already low and i continue using the iphone until it turns off. I HATE THIS!!!! APPLE HELP!!!

Comments by orvil : Monday, March 23, 2009 at 07:54 PM

Yep The same happens to me well actually tell a lie this is the first time and i have still a low battery maybe i should just leave it charging for a couple of days, i was still using it when it was low and just turned off. I'm so annoyed about this, lets hope apple sorts this problem out.

Comments by Cornesy : Tuesday, August 04, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Assuming charging from a completely drained battery, charging takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours on my 3GS. Apple needs to make improvements on their battery life for the iPhone.

Comments by Henry : Monday, January 04, 2010 at 09:39 AM

I encountered this iPhone battery recharge problem for the first time today. After reading these earlier posts, it appears that my iPhone battery was completely drained for the first time since purchase because it did its first self-shutdown today. Now I understand why it is recharging so slowly. In the past I have always recharged when the indicator was just below one-half charge and at those times my iPhone would come to a complete recharge within 20 to 30 minutes. So, now I'm anticipating a 1 to 1 1/2 hour recharge period with great anticipation. I do not want to shop for a new battery!

Comments by Libby : Friday, January 08, 2010 at 12:38 PM

my iPhone takes exactly 6 minutes, the time to make it from 0 to 5% to come from being dead to seeing the apple. apple needs to replace your iPhones. but one thing I can think of is when it doesn't charge like that, it is likely that your iPhone is overheating as they don't charge when they get over a certain temperature. putting it in the fridge or simply letting them cool off can solve this problem and make them come alive again

Comments by Joe : Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 03:29 AM

Comments by Roger : Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 09:22 PM

Comments by Fadil Shamir Khan : Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Last week my iphone's battery (2g) died. In my country no official Apple repair service would replace the battery as I had bought the phone in another country. I Took it to a non-official repair shop and had the battery replaced. It worked perfectly well. However, I decided to update the firmware from 1.1.4 to 3.0. That was a huge mistake. I didn't notice that the new battery was draining fast and that for some reason, even though the phone was plugged in, no charge was coming in. Right now I don't even have enough power to undo the firmware update and recover my phone. I've had the phone plugged via mains and via usb for long hours and not a bit of green appears on my screen. Any suggestions?

Comments by Ed T : Monday, February 08, 2010 at 11:28 PM

"Call ur iPhone from another phone while charging. Once u get the apple icon and push the power button, u should get back to the normal slider home screen. I panicked when after two hours the phone still had a red battery icon.

Comments by Roger : Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 09:22 PM"

AWESOME ADVICE - totally worked for me, thanks!

"About 2 days after using my iPhone and uncaringly let the battery die completely, I put it to charge for just under 17 hours and it still won't come on. If any of you have this problem, I recommend that you plug it in to your PC and let iTunes detect it. it should say that the phone is in recovery mode. Use any firmware to get it back up and running. Bye

Comments by Fadil Shamir Khan : Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 11:15"

THIS did/does not work.

Comments by Phil : Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 08:51 PM

omg dis is bull!!!!!!!! im going through my first shut down rite now...im going crazy!!!!! i realized it was dead about four dis morning, put it on the charger, and it still refuses to come back on. it's now 6:44...i can not believe this...apple dis is definitely not acceptable

Comments by Delecia : Monday, May 03, 2010 at 07:45 AM

hey guys,I've had my 2g for 2 weeks now and it kicks ass,I recharge it like 3-6 times a day becus of how much I use it,the key is to let the battery drain a little less than the red zone(30%)and recharge it,cuz the lithium ion particules need to be "agitated" to improve their battery life and not get "rusty" which can be achived by using your iphone constantly AND recharging,either that or if it gets to approx 60%,recharge it...if u think this comment is helpful,reply,if u think it's bull,then don't

Comments by jack zekian : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 05:21 PM

If you iPhone is fully dead. remove your sim card 1st and start recharging. it works

Comments by Don Anton : Monday, January 24, 2011 at 04:35 PM

I too is experiencing battery issues right now, I fully drain my 3g running on ios 4.0.1 and for 2 days now and still counting it is not recharge it just displays a yellow light im waiting for the apple to come up

Comments by carla : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 08:14 PM

Comments by carla : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 08:15 PM

im also having the same prob. i havent been able to use iphone for communicating but im using it as an ipod. i have iphone 3g and this morning it just shut down automatically, i thought i can just charge it and it will turn green after an hour,but as of 8am this morning until now, 12nn, i still have the red battery. good thing is, it is still recognizing the charging but it wont come on! should i let it charge for more than 2 days and see what happend or go to iphone store??? pls help...

Comments by redge : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM

This is the exact reason why I refuse to buy another iPhone, until they fix this issue. It is ridiculous it takes over an hour to turn a phone back on after the battery dies.

Comments by yeah... : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 12:38 AM

i just got my iphone 3gs 3 months ago (its a company phone) and this has also happened to me 3x. my phone would die i then put it on the charger and it takes an hour for it to turn back on i got so mad the 2nd time i eventually unhooked the charger and went to plug it up to the computer and it came on so i tried it the 3rd time and it worked again.

Comments by Michael Holland : Saturday, April 02, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Plug it into the computer to charge. It should only take a couple of minuetes make sure the ipod is indicating its charging. I have had problems waiting hours for it to get out of the red zone with it's plug into the wall charger, everytime i plug it into the computer it powers up after a couple mins everytime.

Comments by joel : Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM

hey ..
my iphone battery died last night..
its still in the red zone ...
there is no apple sign on my screen like it would have been before...

pls help me guys...!!
what to do ..
if i charge it , it went up to heat ..
should i charge it more ...
pls help....

Comments by ayush matta : Monday, May 30, 2011 at 07:49 AM

my phone died, and it's my alarm clock. WTF. it's been on a speaker charger for an hour, and then i found a cable for the computer. last straw apple.

Comments by ggracka : Friday, June 10, 2011 at 03:58 AM

Comments by Fadil Shamir Khan : Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 11:15"

My battery (3gs) was dead for God knows how long as I was asleep.. and still no green color for 2 1/2hrs.. until I found this forum. I tried to call my phone, it didn't work.. but THIS ONE, DEFINITELY WORKED FOR ME. :)
thank-you! x

Comments by Love : Friday, June 24, 2011 at 06:35 AM

i have this problemm, i have my i phone charge and its been there like for 4 days straight and i wont get out of the red zonee ugg i dont knoww what to doo:O helpp me plz what do do???

Comments by jasmine : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 01:08 AM