Main > Archives > 2009 > February > Internet Explorer 8 update vs. Firefox 3.0.6

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Internet Explorer 8 update vs. Firefox 3.0.6

firefox vs. ie

I just installed the latest versions of Firefox and Internet Explorer. My initial reaction: Neither update offered new tools or features that significantly enhanced my browsing experience. Also, if there's any truth to the saying: "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.", then Firefox should be blushing.

I.E. Version 8 boasts:
    Faster and More responsive -With new tabs, "opening up fast and reliably" and one click access to your mail, favorite news sites or other online services. Automate your access to real time information updates. You can keep track of your favorite sports team, news, weather with a single click.

More privacy and security.

Two funny side notes:
1. When I initiated the installation process, a prompt asked if I wanted to improve Internet Explorer....Isn't that their job?
2. I.E. 8 has crashed on me three times already.

Accelerators are among the highlighted features for I.E. 8
What are accelerators?
Well, according to Microsoft ,accelerators let you use web service providers more quickly and easily. For example, you can highlight a word on a website, right click, and select the "Define with Encarta" accelerator to obtain a definition of a word without having to navigate to a separate website.

The Map with Live Search prompt is pretty handy as well. ie update live map searchWhether its Paris,France or Paris,Texas,you can upload a map within the same page.

Application Compatibility Logging:
Designed for use by developers and IT professionals to determine the compatibility of their websites with Internet Explorer.

AutoComplete:

Lets you more quickly fill out web forms and navigate to websites you have visited in the past.

SmartScreen Filter:
Designed to help warn you about unsafe websites. (Nothing fancy here)

Suggested Sites:

List the sites you visit most frequently and suggests  other websites you might be interested in.

Web Slices:
Lets you subscribe to updates from webpages that change frequently, without having to load the entire website. (Sounds awfully similar to an RSS feed)

Firefox's 3.0.6 update focused on fixes, rather tan features. The fixes addressed several security issues, such as local file stealing with SessionStore and crashes with evidence of memory corruption. Firefox also tweaked a few stability areas and improved the ability for scripted commands.

Overall, I thought Microsoft and Mozilla addressed some key areas, but they certainly didn't make any notable strides in development.

(12) Thoughts on Internet Explorer 8 update vs. Firefox 3.0.6

So, basically, IE is riffing Google, Firefox, Netscape and not much else. So, what else is new? Not much original thought in any of their improvements, is there?

Comments by Jim Lane : Wednesday, February 04, 2009 at 08:30 PM

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
You're comparing a maintenance release of a "point" release to a beta of IE, while Firefox has a beta 2 available with beta 3 coming (sometime). The new Firefox version (3.1) has several new features while the 3.0 maintenance release would of course not have any significant feature updates.

This is an apples and oranges comparison.

Comments by Mark : Wednesday, February 04, 2009 at 08:35 PM

I was just happy that FF came out with the update after IE's 8. After I had loaded IE8 my default browser settings got all messed up. The FF upgraded fixed me straight again.

Comments by Rob : Wednesday, February 04, 2009 at 09:28 PM

This is a horrible comparison.

First of all, IE 8 is really intended for Windows 7. Trying to get the security to mesh in place of the insecurity of IE 6 / XP. ;)

Second of all, you can't compare beta software on a beta platform to a mature application on very mature platforms. If you want to use IE 8 as the pace-setter, you should have compared it to an alpha for Firefox 4, really.

Comments by Duane Wills : Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 02:41 PM

none of those features are interesting...

Comments by olga : Monday, April 27, 2009 at 05:50 PM

I have been using IE8 from past 2-3 months,its not beta version.In IE8 when i load gmail it always freezes up.It does not happen in firefox.

But still IE8 is good.

Comments by Zeal : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 09:01 AM

IE totally messed up my pc, when I installed Firefox everything just got fixed !!! Amazing !!!

I love Firefox

Comments by Bill Gates : Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 07:06 PM

I love IE8. It's more cooler. And it's made by Microsoft. And Microsoft also made Windows.

Comments by alvarez : Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 05:16 AM

I made an internet browser out of some bees and a tin can

Comments by BobJob : Saturday, June 06, 2009 at 08:24 AM

My god fire fox is absolutely fantastic compared to IE of which is slow and always crashing on me. FF allows m to browse faster and doesn't have fancy gimmicks, hence perhaps it's faster. I will always have FF as my default browser, as it is marvellous.

Comments by Robs : Friday, June 12, 2009 at 04:36 AM

I had a really strange experience with these two browsers. My old computer, which was an XP machine, surfed much better with the FF browser. But then I had to buy a Vista machine. I downloaded FF again, and I now run the full version of IE 8 and the latter is much faster. I have no idea why. Pages seem to open better in it as well, while FF drags things out. I much prefer FF because of its open source nature, but have stuck with IE 8 for practical reasons.

Comments by Gil : Friday, September 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I second Gil's September comments.I was using FF on an old XP machine because I had so many problems with IE7 & 8. They were was slow and hung up often. I also recently bought a Vista machine and will soon upgrade to Windows 7. I am running FF and IE 8. IE8 is fast on this Vista machine whereas FF seems to drags things out. I have copied most of my old machine's files over and am pleased so far with the operation and responsiveness. Working with IE 8 is now almost a pleasure.

Comments by Ted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 at 06:52 PM