Main > Archives > 2009 > January > Visual Tricks in ShamWow and other ads

Monday, January 05, 2009

Visual Tricks in ShamWow and other ads

shamwow vince

By now, you've probably seen that Sham Wow ad starring Vince Offer- a slick-talking spike-haired wiseguy in his 20's who raves about an overpriced rag.

I was joking around with my friends about Vince's condescending tone, New York accent. His pompous demeanor ,headset and rushed delivery imply that he has better things to do than waste his time talking to you- the ignorant consumer.

My favorite Shamwow quotes from Vince:

'Are you following me camera guy?'

'You know the Germans are always going to make good stuff.'

'You're going to spend $20 a month on paper towels so you already throwing your money away.'

shamwow paper towelsI think one reason the infomercial became memorable from the clutter of late-night ads is because of his tacky headset. It's totally irrelevant to the ad, but it's also one of the main items you remember. For some reason, those seemingly  trivial visual touches can make a lasting impression.

Don't believe me? Ask anyone from the Orlando area about Appliance Direct. For years,a lady in plaid dress and a knee brace has yelled "If you didn't buy direct, you paid too much!" at the end of every ad. The funny thing is- her knee brace has alternated between each leg. Obviously, she recovered from her initial injury years ago, but for some odd reason, the brace remained. "Lee the appliance lady" told tackyfabulousorlando blog, that the knee brace remains because it evoked a positive reaction from focus groups.

So what's my point? Whether its a knee brace or a headset, those simple visual tricks can distinguish a brand from the rest of the pack.

UPDATE: Vince is in thesmokinggun  after he was caught with a prositute and arrested for battery at a Miami hotel.

(9) Thoughts on Visual Tricks in ShamWow and other ads

While the first commercial is great, he seems to have topped himself, with these three memorable lines for ChopIt:

"You're gonna love my nuts."

"Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life."

"You're gonna be in a great mood all day, start slapping your troubles away!"

Comments by Greg : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 04:05 PM

I like his new ad, for the SlapChop chopper. His delivery is at best amazing, and the whole commercial flows flawlessly. There is one scene where he tosses the competitions product behind his head and it lands in the sink behind him while delivering his lines. I can't image he did all this in one take, but it sure looks like it from how the commercial flows.

I am going to have to look for some good one liners next time I see it.

Comments by Nick Berardi : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 04:11 PM

You know, I looked at my Yahoo Spam folder today (as I do every day to clear it out), and I had 5 spam e-mails about ShamWow today alone. In my opinion, they should rename it to SpamWow.

Does anybody else get constant spam emails from Shamwow?

Comments by Brent Lohaus : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 05:05 PM

I love Sham Wow I give away 15 Sham Wow sets for christmas one to each member of my family. Sham Wow is the best thing that has happened to this country.

Comments by Rick Hoskins : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 08:57 PM

ShamWow is awesome!

Comments by mike metelerkamp : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 at 05:18 AM

but he's so sham wow! i mean seriously. and you are right! the headset is priceless...

Comments by robyn blaikie collins : Wednesday, January 07, 2009 at 08:19 PM

Slap Chop is the new Sham Wow!!

In one line he goes on to count the seconds, and says stuff about, " Belini, Martini, String Bikini,"... WTF!!! Vince is straight from Infomercial HELLLLLL :)

Comments by Justin Sailors : Friday, January 09, 2009 at 12:51 PM

come one! "Sham" wow! the idea is in the name! the definition of sham is "something that is not what it purports to be; a spurious imitation; fraud or hoax" and no wear in any definition does it resemble the product. people just assume sham means towel because there associating it with them. shamwow dosen't lie XD but it shows how gullible consumers are

Comments by Brenden Dupuis : Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM

The best part is when he pours the soda on the piece of rug, you can see it leaking onto the table, and then he pounds the ShamWow into the carpet. But you can see before he even puts the ShamWow down that it's a different take, because the leaked soda is magically gone.

@brenden it's called "ShamWow" because it's a synthetic chamois ("shammy") cloth, a la the 'Super Shammy'.

Comments by Aaron : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 12:30 AM