Main > Archives > 2009 > January > What is G? Commercial Drives BCS Viewers to Google

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

What is G? Commercial Drives BCS Viewers to Google

what is g?As I watched Ohio State and Texas battle in the Fiesta Bowl last night, a mysterious 60-second commercial  grabbed my attention.

It was narrated by Lil Wayne, and sports icons scrolled across the screen, including Dwayne Wade, Derek Jeter, Bill Russell and Muhammed Ali. They're followed by three men in white masks and the commercial ends with a capital G.
So what's G?
According to Lil Wayne, it's more than just a new line of a low-carb sports drinks,G is:

• The emblem of a warrior
  • The swagger of an athlete
  • A champion AND a dynasty
  • Gifted
  • Golden
  • Genuine
  • Glorious-
  • A lower case god
  • The greatest of all time.
  • The heart hustle and soul of the game

Luckily for Gatorade, the game was so boring that I decided to search "what is G? commercial" to learn more about the ad. (Which is exactly what they wanted me to do)robert cade

My query uncovered a plethora of bloggers talking about Gatorade's new ad.

For years, I enjoyed Gatorade's commercials as much as the games they interrupted. My eyes always focused on the screen when I heard that opening beat to  "Be Like Mike"  or the unmistakable voice of Keith Jackson telling his rendition about "The Legend of Gatorade", a 60-second ad that detailed the history of the drink's creation at the University of Florida. Who could forget the  quote from co-creator Dr. Robert Cade.

Naturally we called the stuff Gatorade

Gatorade's executives have changed course from Jordan highlights and history lessons. Star power is still important, but the inclusion of a rap star proves that Pepsi co, Gatorade's parent company, is attemping to make Gatorade a drink that appeals to all of pop-culture, as opposed to young athletes.

UPDATE: Gatorade sent us a media kit and you can read our post about it here.

(66) Thoughts on What is G? Commercial Drives BCS Viewers to Google

Thank you so much. I did the exact same thing when I saw the commercial. I looked it up on google. But now I know. Thanks

Comments by christine : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Glad to find out that I'm part of that plethora. I hate a commercial that makes you think. After all TV is for entertainment, right?

Comments by Tmase : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I also did the same thing. Why don't they have a web page to search for.

Comments by Jeremy F. : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Thanks heaps for clarifying that add, had no idea what it was. And also the three guys in masks are called the Jabawokeezs, a extremely talented breakdancing group that won americas next best dance crew that do a lot of popping, you tube them they are amazing. Again Gatorade trying to attract a different crowd.

Comments by Spencer : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:37 PM

They wanted to get people talking. You wrote a blog, I am commenting... mission accomplished. I think it is genius to achieve their goal of creating word of mouth.

Comments by Brandon : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I did the exact same thing as everyone else did! I was surprised to see so much "star power" in one commercial! Overall, Great Ad!

Comments by Mo : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:44 PM

This is bound to be the stupidest commercial ever aired. I had to finally Google it to figure out what the heck it was about. Give me the dancing Lizards any day!

Comments by Mcgoo : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:48 PM

We are mid fifties and didn't have a clue, so sent the text to the 20ish family member who didn't have a clue. Then did the whole google thing and found this site. Yeah, one for the oldies, we got to be the first to tell the "youngens" what the "G" meant.
Quite proud tonight!!

Comments by Lydia : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:48 PM

who is the black women about mid way through the commercial? weve narrowed it down to possibly, lisa leslie, jackie joyner kersey, or greg oden

Comments by chaves : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Genius Xgen/tech savvy commercial. Here we are talking and commenting on it, and we will NEVER forget that "G" is Gatorade. It is now embedded in your brain. Somebody in the marketing department just got a huge raise. Lucky "B".

Comments by E : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 10:58 PM

"G" - As in the Masonic G, or possibly Gnosis.

Yea, yea. Whatever.

Comments by Ripcord : Friday, January 09, 2009 at 02:49 PM

if you mean the light-skinned black woman with the long hair, it's the incredibly talented Candace Parker of Tennessee womens basketball (including a championship) fame. She now plays for the L.A. Sparks.

Comments by B-Ball Fan : Friday, January 09, 2009 at 08:30 PM

I did the same thing, I think this is a great commercial and a great idea, the internet is our next cutting edge, Gatorade knew this, why not have it's customers do it's dirty work! Bravo! And thanks Matt for clearing up exactly "what is G"

Comments by Parrothead1087 : Friday, January 09, 2009 at 08:37 PM

The three guys in the white masks are "Jabbawokies" (members of the dance group "Jabbawokies")

Comments by T-PainCantSing : Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 08:33 AM

I am so glad you cleared up that mystery. Those Jabbawokies are creepy though. Thanks Matt for this blog and for clearing up the whole mystery. I still won't drink Gatorade though. I'm just not "G" enough....

Comments by Barbara : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 01:50 PM

A truly horse's-ass campaign, IMO. Once you discover the alphabetic "secret," it becomes an utter non-surprise. Oh, "Gatorade!" we exclaim. And then move on.

Great pic of Muhammad Ali, though.

Comments by turkeyneck : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 01:51 PM

Great add!!!

Jeter and Chazz rock!!!

Comments by Chris : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 03:00 PM

I love g the blue raspberry kind

Comments by laliah desai mohammad : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 09:06 PM

who is the kid next to muhammad ali?

Comments by kevin : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 09:50 PM

Gatorade was actually invented at Florida State and it was originally called Fire Water..

Comments by Randy : Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 11:19 PM

They need to try harder. It looks like a particularly bad cologne commercial. I just happened to be waiting for my bf to get back from the bathroom so we could fastforward through the commercials and decided to look it up.

Comments by Jaime : Monday, January 12, 2009 at 01:17 AM

i think it's creepy

Comments by Stan : Monday, January 12, 2009 at 08:25 PM

its creepy.

Comments by Stan : Monday, January 12, 2009 at 08:26 PM

Actually, Randy, Gatorade was invented at FSU, but it was originally called Seminole Fluid

Comments by Jon : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM

That was Lil' Wayne narrating? Wow.

I always thought it sounded like Whoopi Goldberg.

Comments by Cary : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 06:00 PM

Yeah...who is the young-looking kid? And who is the dude w/ the snowboard?

Comments by Scott : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 06:42 PM

"Seminole Fluid"
HA!!
Great commercial we all got hoodwinked.

Comments by I am G : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 07:35 PM

"Luckily for Gatorade, the game was so boring. . . "

What? The game came down to a winning touchdown pass with 16sec left! What's your definition of exciting?

Comments by dirt dog : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 03:48 PM

Both offenses struggled to generate any momentum and neither team impressed me with their execution. Just because there was a dramatic ending, that doesn't change my opinion that the majority of the game, especially the first half, was boring.

Comments by matt : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 04:56 PM

Gee, everyone is now dumber after watching that commercial.

Gee, I really like powerade.

Gee, one minute of my life I won't get back.

Comments by John : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 09:16 PM

who was the black baseball player?

Comments by Deeznuts : Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 01:00 PM

Hey does anyone out here love gatorade the way I do after giving my husband a good workout I always drink my favorite g blue raspberry

Comments by lakeishabarnes : Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 02:02 PM

the guys in masks are a dance crew from americas best dance crew... not just random guys in masks.

and yeah, it's good marketing, made me google it and figure out what it is

Comments by Nicoleee : Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 03:59 PM

The black baseball player is Jackie Robinson, I believe.

Comments by Sam : Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I thought it was a ad for Puma because the last person to be shown you could see the puma logo on his track jacket

Comments by Ryan : Sunday, January 18, 2009 at 08:24 PM

Puma doesn't start with G duh

Comments by hans : Sunday, January 18, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Couldn't Gatorade just use less sugar to make a low cal drink rather than using other sweetners in it's place.

Comments by Mike Stromeyer : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 01:36 AM

I agree, I wish Gatorade would just use less sugar vs. fake sweetners that have weird aftertastes and no carbs for energy!

Comments by GM : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 04:07 PM

Where is the white guy?

Comments by GB : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 08:56 PM

Chaz Ortiz is another guy featured in the commercial and he is amazing.

Comments by psterner : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 09:26 PM

I will no longer be purchasing Gatorade, so much do I hate these ads.

Comments by Greg : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM

To the writer of this blog (Matt)...Fu$# you! the game was boring? You must not be a true football fan. What made this game so boring? Please explain...It's funny that you were watching the game, and a multi-million $ commercial (that your now bitching about) aired during this 'boring' game...Your an idiot. Get a life...

Comments by burgina : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM

matt your retarded O-H

Comments by john : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM

It stupid. I thought it was a nike commercial until I actually watched it. I DVR stuff and hate commercials. It's the corporations way of making our lives miserable. And this commercial is the king of miserable and stupid.

Comments by Hate Commercials : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It is Gatorade. If you look at the bottom of the screen at the end, you will see (c) S-VC. S-VC stands for Stokely-Van Camp, the original distributors of Gatorade.

Comments by Mike : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 09:27 PM

Seriously? A stupid drink? You muster that level of build up for a stupid drink? A lowecase god? I mean kudos to the marketing genius, but a stupid drink? I really thought it as at least some workout system or web presence or cable system or something somewhat more meaningful. I'm the sucker those marketers knew existed, and I hate that. I'm not drinking it just for spite. Or maybe for Sprite.

Comments by StunnedSucker : Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 12:45 AM

The commercial has people talking. Even the ones that say they hate the commercial took the time out to google it and post a comment about it. The objective was to get people involved and talking. Mission accomplished. Brilliant. Thanks to the naysayers who helped prove the success of the ad.

Comments by D : Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 09:17 PM

The OSU vs Texas game was boring?
Most people thought it was the best of the bowl games. I guess some people thing a scoring fest of 45 points by both teams is exciting.. not to someone who knows about defense.

Comments by tom : Friday, January 23, 2009 at 09:59 AM

Excellent commercial. Keeps your attention and keeps you guessing. Hope they have one planned for the super bowl.

Comments by brown tanya : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM

It felt to me like they had the budget of about $5. After seeing this, I would rather die of dehydration than drink Gatorade. If their goal was to make people feel like they had no advertising budget to hire actual professionals to produce an advertisement..then mission accomplished. Now off to buy a Powerade...they can still pay people to make professional looking ads!

Comments by JC : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 09:57 PM

Stupid stupid stupid commercial.I will never drink Gaterade again!

Comments by Shelly : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Today's stupid advertisement is brougt to you by the letter G and the number seven.

Comments by Jonny : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I think the what's G commercial is very stupid and irritating, it will not make me use the product just because it is a ? commercial. if you do not sell me in the first 10 seconds you lost the sale.
how about what's L ( for lost )or (Loser)

Comments by joe : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Sorry, I must be the only one out there that really didn't get it. My spouse told me that it was an ad, but I (still) think that it is an inspiramercial to let those yunguns out there know that they can achieve their dreams and goals. Call me a sap.

Comments by beachcomber : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:27 PM

So Gatorade paid for the ads, but in the end they seem to benefit another G more: Google.

Comments by ff11 : Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM

HATE this commercial. Advertise what your product is. PLEASE.

Comments by kdel : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:23 AM

uhm.. it's "Jabbawockeez". and if you think they're creepy, you should see them dance. they'll blow your mind. they're season 1 winners of america's best dance crew.. and they deserved it.

Comments by mobil1integra : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM

wow you guys complain way to much! its a commercial for crying out loud!! your going to stop drinking it because you dont like the ad on tv?! you guys are real matture.

Comments by l : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 02:10 PM

Can anyone name all the people in both commercials???

Comments by Kelly : Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Attn: G stands for Gatorade BUT its not telling you that they will be coming out with a reality show consisting of people who have athletic talent but never got the chance to take it to the next level. This show will take 8 people and train them for 4 months and a shot at a professional career.

Comments by Jeremy : Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 01:39 PM

what are u talking bout. the fiesta bowl was AWESOME. I didnt know bout the G commercial either

Comments by ;'l';l'l'/ : Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 06:10 PM

to all the people who wonder who the kid next to Ali is, he's Chazz Ortiz. He's pretty much the sickest skater out right now. and he's young. he's rippin on 20 year olds and i think he's about 13. (not sure though). As for the comment saying that "tv is for entertainment"... some people like the challenge of figuring out riddles. i didn't think it was too hard to get. there were athletes, and nice, crisp run to go with it. and a HUGE G at the end. Everyone knows what G and sports means... gatorade.

Comments by Peter : Sunday, February 01, 2009 at 12:51 PM

This is NOT a great commercial.
There is no "call to action", and after viewing the entire commercial, the viewer still hasn't got a clue as to what the product might be.
The whole point of a telivision commercial is to make the viewers want the product immediately.
Poor advertising.

Comments by Charles Presta : Sunday, February 01, 2009 at 09:23 PM

It is also the first letter in goo

Comments by Sir Isaac Newton : Tuesday, February 03, 2009 at 07:33 PM

I thought it meant "Gay"

Comments by Me : Saturday, February 07, 2009 at 02:31 PM

I will never drink gatorade again after this stupid ad. Why do they think that having Lil' Wayne come on the air and talk like the stereotypical dumb nigger is going to make people want to drink their product?

Comments by G : Friday, January 22, 2010 at 02:24 PM