Main > Archives > 2008 > December > Which will die first - XM Radio or Your Subscription?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Which will die first - XM Radio or Your Subscription?

xm-radio-deal

XM radio hopes to lure new subscribers with a lifetime subscription offer for $399. For the same rate, Sirius fans can opt for a lifetime subscription for the best of Sirius.
On the surface, these offers seem like a great deal to anyone who's considering a long-term commitment to Sirius-XM, but have you checked out their stock lately?

As of the market's closing today, Sirius-XM Radio Inc. was worth 0.150 per-share,and one of Sirius' biggest names, Howard Stern ( a big draw for subscribers, love him or hate him) has talked about leaving in two years. Sirius-XM 'struggle is hard to analyze, because they don't even have any competition,yet their stock is so low.
In other words, signing a lifetime contract with XM might be as risky as signing a 70-year old smoker to a life-insurance policy.

UPDATE: Sirius XM Radio on brink of bankruptcy.

(28) Thoughts on Which will die first - XM Radio or Your Subscription?

as long as howards there its worth it regular radio blows to many commercial but radio without stern will be a sad day

he has single handedly crushed cbs radio he is an icon the biggest media figure ever

Comments by johnny roastbeef : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 06:05 PM

I believe that satellite radio will collapse soon after Howard Stern retires. There is no one that comes even close to being as interesting as Howard and I for one will ditch my Sirius-XM subscription when Howard retires. Bubba The Love Spong is a simple idiot and Ferral is just as boring.

Comments by Mark Montgomery : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 03:54 AM

Q: What's the difference between an XM/SIRI Lifetime subscription and their 90-free trial subscription?

A: About a week, give or take.

Comments by Riroon : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 07:26 AM

If Howard goes, then Sirius dies. My bet is there is a 50% chance he'll be back for 2 yrs, or have his own pay Internet stream. It won't be long before Internet radio in your car will be widespread.

Comments by Tim g : Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM

howard who?..that guy is old news and a bore.

Comments by timmy man : Friday, December 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Tim g,

Yeah, the car industry is soooo good right now! I think i'll go out and buy two new cars with in-car internet radio! How much would that be, about $80,000 plus the subscription where I can only listen in my car and nowhere else?

YAY!

Comments by BhoysFC : Friday, December 19, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I was thinking more in the line of iphone/data enabled devices that can stream internet...internet enabled in car radios can't be too far into the future tho.

Comments by Tim G. : Friday, December 19, 2008 at 01:03 PM

If they get rid of Howard they might not sink

Comments by Josephb : Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 09:31 PM

Satellite radio is a godsend for truckers. I listen to talk radio all day, every day. But, I am extremely disappointed in XM's daily technical problems, their inability to correcty spell and punctuate information shown on the dsplay screen, and their hypocritical decisions in censorship. They proudly broadcast meaningless filth like Howard Stern, but bleep out the word "faggot" in Dire Straits song--Money For Nothing. I will pass on the lifetime subscription in hopes that a more professional and more technically able competitor will emerge.

Comments by Linda : Monday, December 22, 2008 at 11:43 AM

It is not XM radio anymore. The name is used, but since the "merge" with Sirius, the channels and DJs have disappeared. So the slippery slope that XM/Sirius is on is not only due to bad radio like Howard Stern and a bunch of Stern-wannabe DJs, but because the fun XM culture is gone. And it is no wonder they are offering a lifetime membership when they are having a hard time keeping the members they already have.

Comments by Marthab : Monday, December 22, 2008 at 01:19 PM

I got my XM for Baseball and Music back in 2005. I listen daily and enjoyed the baseball & Baseball talk on 175. Since the Merger they have replaced many of the personalities and replaced them with the types you listen to on free radio! Because I love baseball I called yesterday about Lifetime Subscription and very quickly they tried to sell me a upgrade "Best of Sirius", then a new Radio telling me "Sir" your old one won't last forever! What they are not telling you at first is the added cost for a new radio and how about radio adapters or any of the older accesories you purchased orginally are they compatible with the new radio? It was this type of tack that made me stop and re-think getting the Lifetime Subscription at this time? I have been very disappointed with the merger and I have friends who feel the same and for different reasons.
I'm interested in others thoughts of the Merger and this Lifetime Subscription?

Comments by JR : Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 09:29 AM

It dies the day Stern leaves.
But I think Stern will be back -

but you have to figure for less hours per week - he does 4 days - 4 hrs/day, 16 hrs / week now...

so you figure he might go to something like 8-10/hrs week.

So will the stock slide to .06 a share then - if its .12 now :)

Comments by michael : Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM

I had sent XM an eamil that I will get no reply over and this is what it said....

I have been a subscriber of XM Radio for about 3 or 4 years and I have been happy with my XM until here recently. Every since Sirius and XM merged it seems as if the XM radio has gone to crap. They have taken away Fungus and have changed some of the ways they play music on the other channels. For instance, when channel 48 was called squizz, it seemed that I could hear endless counts of music that wasn't played on regular radio anymore. Such as bands like Iron Maiden. Now it seems as if the station plays the hell out of the same songs every hour or two just like regular radio stations. Such as new music from the new Metallica album. I heard The day that never comes played twice within an hour the other day. Another channel I have noticed is channel 41, the former Boneyard Channel. Now it is called Hairnation or some shit. They used to play alot of stuff from bands like Zebra older Iron Maiden and Quiet Riot. Now they are playing crap like Whitesnake and Winger all of the time. I'm also hearing alot of ACDC Sh*t. They have their own channel why the hell are they still invading all of the other channels?. Another issue that pisses me off and that I have noticed is that every half hour to hour the DJ comes on and talks about stupid sh*t. Like on Channel 48 Octane, One DJ in particular talks about his d*ck all the time. I don't care if this dude has a small d*ck or not and I sure the f$%k do not care about what the hell Axl Rose is doing in his spare time. The bottom line is, I am supposed to be paying for commercial free uninterrupted music that I am not getting. I am however getting interrupted music by some fu*k jockey talking about his dick and bullshit about Axl Rose every half hour to an hour and I'm hearing shitty music. XM was perfectly fine until this merge with Sirius. I have sent emails in the past with no response back and this just tells me that nobody on your end really gives a shit about what the listeners want or how they feel. That is why XM is hurting for subscriptions. Alot of people I know have canceled their Sirius and XM subscription and have switched to Slacker radio. For a flat fee of $250.00 I get to choose the music I want to listen to with no DJ interruptions. I know that this email will get no response back to me and if a response is given it will be something along the lines of "It's what the listeners want". Bullshit...it's what corporate satellite radio wants..bottom line. The only reason I have not ended my subscription is because I am hoping that these issues get resolved soon. Thank You for your time and understanding if anyone at XM really even gives a shit.
Sincerely Pissed Off, J.P.

Comments by jason : Monday, December 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I agree with JP.

What a crappy product I am paying for now.

Beyond Jazz - gone
Fred on 44 - gone

Pretty soon I will be - gone

I heard a commercial the other day on one of the music channels. I couldnt believe it.

I had XM since 2005. It was great. Hearing new music. No DJ's talking aobut their d*cks.

Now right before my eyes I am watching what was once a great service turn into sh*t. However I am sure the resulting financial statements look much better. At least for now. Lets see how they look when more and more people get fed up with the sh*t service XM Sirius has become.

I am sure in 5 years or so buisness schools will be studying this merger so as to teach the students what NOT to do. It will be a case study in "mergers gone wrong". Just like the Bernie Madhoff scandal will work their way into buisness school text books to teach students about past oversight failures.

It is almost like Sirius XM wants to go out of buisness.

Comments by VEE : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I agree with you JP... I used to listen to Crosscountry and it was replaced with outlaw country. What a load of bullshit, they're just playing old rock music/southern rock with the occasional outlaw in there. Cross country was for the most part new music that could't really be classified as either rock or country or really anything else. The jocks would give you a little background maybe on the band and a list of what you just listened to. No bullshit.

This outlaw country thing is just shit with these dumbass jocks screwing with my music. I think they were running this commercial at first that basically said something about giving them a chance and let the music do the talking, I did and it didn't do the trick. I want to hear new stuff along with occasional gem tossed in, not old overplayed music of the past being played by djs that are advertising XM/Sirius every 20 minutes or so. What happened to no advertising on the music channels. They might think it's advertising if they're talking about their own product, but I sure as hell do especially considering the caliber of the talent they are using to annoy me.

XM also had this other channel, I think it was channel 2 that had interviews and stuff all day long that I really liked... gone!

Not only am I not even thinking about a lifetime subscription. I'll have to think long and hard about even renewing what I have now. This is not what I signed up for!

Comments by Leo : Monday, January 05, 2009 at 10:01 PM

XM you had me
YOU REALLY HAD ME

That is until you became Sirius XM.
Before that awful day of Sirius taking over XM I absolutely loved my satellite radio. LOVED IT.
I was able to add the best of Sirius to my XM subscription and was now able to listen to the NFL channel.

But that day back in November I woke up turned on my favorite channel -- 12 X Country and heard freakin' John Anderson. Gone is Alt. country/Americana replaced by trash.I don't know which is worse the music played on Outhouse Country or the moronic "personalities". Sure, they play some of the Alt. country I love but you have to endure WAY too much George Jones, all the Hanks, Elvis, ELVIS??????, Bruce Springsteen, Faron Young, and so many other artist heard elsewhere.

Then you have personalities like Mojo Nixon, this guy is awful. He yells ALL the damn time. I have only tuned a couple of times for his show and each time I quickly turned my mp3 player back on. On one occasion he told us how his favorite football team sucked a certain part of a donkey's anatomy. Then there is Elizabeth Cook and her phony country girl act. It makes me sick. Plus you have the trailer park bash with a bunch of hillbillies talking about what? How much they drink or farting or tipping cows--- I don't know because I go back to my mp3 player.

X country was the best thing on XM.
Jessie Scott brought the listener so many new artist will paying homage to the past with shows like Redneck Mothers and the X in Texas.
Then there was Rogue calls -- a listener request show it was great. Plus you had live studio recordings,Texas Fred's Zydeco, Marty's Countdown, Hang Time,live concerts and so much more.
Outhouse country has added a two hour show of no djs with strictly American music, but if that is the best they can do well that's a damn shame.
I have given the merger almost two months now hoping thing would change, but I can see that will not happen. I have been on the verge of cancelling my subscription and tomorrow just may be the day.

One other channel they really screwed up was Lucy now called Lithium. Who in the hell really thought Sirius has better programming then XM???

Comments by CodeDog : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 at 09:58 PM

I have been an XM listener for a short time but since the merger but the changes I have heard have not been good. This American Life is off NPR replaced with Bob Edwards all day and the music is repeated more often and with less variety. I had heard Sirius before and thats why I chose XM but now XM is gone and I will be to soon

Comments by xm in name onle : Wednesday, January 07, 2009 at 06:25 PM

I'm back again, after reading many of the messages I can agree with all of it. The merger for XM listeners is the worst that could have happened where Sirius listeners didn' know any better! The Sports talk shows are now no better than free radio.."CRAP". They have changed everything that was good and unique about XM and put in their awful programing and hosts and sports personalities who don't get along!

Comments by JR : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 09:53 AM

Mojo is an immature, filthy-mouthed moron; most of the other DJs talk too much. We just want a variety of music.

Outlaw Country programmers just don't get it. They are out of touch. X-Country ruled.

I have been trying to contact someone for several weeks. All I get are form letters. Only Elizabeth Cook replied. She said they make her play the crap.

Deep Tracks is still pure and awesome though.

I hope SiriusXM goes down the tubes. Shame on them for not understanding music.

Comments by Joe K. : Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 02:52 PM

I too WAS about a 4 year subscriber to XM and I LOVED it! I just officially canceled today....What a shame that corporate greed has once again destroyed something great in the never ending search for the almighty dollar! I will not return to sat radio anytime in the near future. ONLY if the folks from XM revive what is now dead..

Comments by D T : Friday, February 13, 2009 at 02:20 PM

I'm a new sub to XM so it's all new to me and I'm satisfied with the value I'm getting. Of course as I find favorite channels I will be as upset as you if and when they are changed.

Bitching here about the programming will do absolutely nothing to change things. You should be making your opinions known to the program providers.
There will be more changes coming during this turmoil and there will be executives interested in past subscriber feed back.

Lastly the satellite network will not "go under" there may be new partners or a change in ownership but satellite networks never go under...there is too much value there. Whatever the outcome you can rest assured there are many more changes on the horizon but your radio will not become obsolete.

Comments by Johnson : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 02:15 AM

I got XM when no one knew what it was no commericals, no dj and now it's junk! I stopped paying bc i got sick off it. Well XM had the nerve to keep charging my credit charge and then i called and said something but all that I got from the F*CKER that didn't speak English was your account was canceled. B.S. then why did you charge my card. I was transfered to a manager which shocker did not speak english either! End result = Call the credit card and got a refund and blocked them from charging my account ever again! XM SUCKS!!!!

Comments by Scott : Wednesday, March 04, 2009 at 03:50 PM

If Howard Stern is dropped, there is a chance SIRIUS-XM will continue. This guy isn't worth two cents. Only retards could like this fellow retard.

Comments by Ye_Olde_Wordsmith : Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 07:01 PM

I too am about to cancel my subscription. I got this thing so that I could listen to Cubs baseball when I moved to an area that didn't syndicate it. I eventually grew to love some of the other channels aside from 175-fungus, fred, etc...all gone. They also started creating more channels dedicated to specific bands. And then they play those bands on all the other channels too. If you like AC/DC, the Grateful Dead, etc...enough to want to listen to their channel, then there's probably a good chance that you already own all of their music anyway. I emailed them about my frustrations and actually got a reply back from a guy. He told me that if I was a fan of fungus, then I would like its replacement Faction. The difference between Fungus and Faction is that Fungus played alot of things that I had never heard before. It turned me on to some new stuff, that I might not have been otherwise exposed to. If you own any skateboard/snowboard/bmx/any kind of extreme sports video game, then you've heard everything Faction has to offer. I didn't listen to many of the other music channels, but I really feel for all of you guys that did, and are now getting the shaft. I'm not hearing anything that I can't get for free on regular radio. My xm hasn't changed from 175 pretty much since the merger. I now have an iphone, which has a pretty sweet mlb app which lets you listen to whatever game you want, as well as which feed you want. No longer listening to the other teams broadcasters when my guys are on the road. And it's only $10 a season. It's unfortunate that the merger completely killed their originality. I will miss listening to the guys on 175, but one channel just isn't worth the $12.99/month anymore. Peace.

Comments by tim : Friday, May 08, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I believe this article in slate best describes the picture.

Essentially the article talks about how bad the idea was because of the amount of investment to put satellites into space - so both Sirius/XM made bad financial moves, and had to lure subscribers in with big name talent (like Stern). Talk shows are one thing, but for music... it's still just a radio station with someone else at the controls.

The evolution of iPhone like devices means that any owner of a mobile phone or if there were something like an iPod that could stream from 3G networks - then why would you need someone else to do the music programming?

You could be anywhere and have full digital, high quality music, in a mix that you programmed yourself, or that learns from your tastes.

I personally love last.fm - use it about 65% of the time. I use my XM receiver only in the car because I don't have a decent 3G coverage to warrant buying a mobile phone that can play streaming music into my car radio.

I encourage everyone who wants quality programming, with no dumb DJ's, and no commericals to use last.fm, somafm.com, pandora, or any other internet streaming stations. Set up your own online station in last.fm or pandora, and it will learn from your preferential listening (called scrobbling) You will be much happier than you ever will be by thinking that XM will ever bring back the fun/decent programming.

Comments by David K : Friday, June 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I agree with J.P. I am latino they took of my favorite channels like aguila which is regional texmex or latin pop , and replaced it with caliente . I'm on the west coast , and don't listen to salsa or puerto rican music. Also xm 150 was replaced by raw dog with dj's telling me about a clip . I don't need freaking dj's that's why there's a screen telling me what's playing xm serious sucks big time !

Comments by Fernando : Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 09:56 PM

I just received my XM annual renewal statement. It’s the same price as last year, $142.45! The only difference in the service is next year I have to pay a $21.79 U.S. Music Royalty Fee. Additionally, my on-line service subscription that I was included in my plan over the last few years has been dropped. I need to pay an extra monthly fee to hear XM on-line next year. I love my iPhone, but I did not want to pay extra to hear XM on my phone. Today, I told the XM operator in India to stop my automatic renewal.

Like all of you, I am disappointed with what has happened to XM. 1st Wave has this woman DJ who talks about her need to go to get "laid" in the West-End of London to relive the song when she visited England. XM lost its sophistication. It's no longer about the music: who wrote it, played it, produced it, or the history of it. It's now about the ego driven DJ's who want to be the next Howard Stern. Remember, XM got started to get away from DJ's and commercials. Now listen to what it has developed into.

I used to love XM. Really, Really, Really Love XM. I could listen to 40's, 70's, Punk, and even a little classical music: I could be eclectic with my music and not be ashamed of it. I am grateful to all of you for expressing what I have felt since the merger. Because of all of you, I have been introduced to internet streaming stations like Pandora and Last.FM. Yes, On-Line music is the future. Sirius/XM's Corporate Folk really took a "risk" to save satellite radio. They choose to destroy it.

I'm not over reacting. Times are too financially difficult to pay for a service that does not honor their loyal customers. Regrettably, I will leave XM at the end of this month. I would rather tolerate the impersonal Internet than support a corporate structure that disregards me.

Comments by Tony R. : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 08:25 PM

My subscription runs out at the end of March. After 6 years I have decided to also cancel. More and more commercials along with what I consider to be no customer loyalty. The lifelong subscription seems like a desperate attempt to keep from going under...which I feel quite sure will happen sooner rather than later.

Comments by JR : Thursday, March 04, 2010 at 12:05 PM