Main > Archives > 2008 > December > Pepsi Responds to 8-Pack Outrage

Friday, December 05, 2008

Pepsi Responds to 8-Pack Outrage

pepsi logo

After I wrote about Pepsi's decision to test the 8-pack size, I enjoyed reading many of the comments from our readers.

The frequency and passion of your replies prompted me to send the post to Pepsi.

Yesterday, I received the typical PR response from corporate. Here's the letter:

Dear Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about our new packaging introductions.

After reading your message it's clear that we've disappointed you, and for that I'm truly sorry. I'd like to share some of the reasons that prompted the change. As you may imagine, because of the economy, we've had to make some adjustments to our pricing and packaging. Rather than simply raise prices, we’ve done some problem solving around packaging.

Our consumers tell us that the 8-pack and 18-pack sizes are good options.  It would allow them to stay within a certain budget, and in some households, still be able purchase a variety of flavors for their family. Please know that the new package sizes will continue to be featured with promotional pricing as often as possible throughout the year.

Again, I’m truly sorry for any inconvenience these changes may have caused you. I'm so glad you contacted us and promise to share your concerns with our packaging team as well as local bottlers. And thank you, always, for being such a loyal and valued consumer.

Pepsi has insulted our intelligence with this "packaged" response.

First of all,when Pepsi claimed customers say the 8-pack and 18-pack are good options, it  categorically dismissed the consumers who commented on our post. Pepsi also claimed that they didn't raise prices, but they hyped the promotional pricing a few sentences later.Who cares if they didn't RAISE the prices if they're charging the SAME price for a SMALLER size?

For updates on this ongoing saga, and other marketing stories, subscribe to our RSS feed.

How do you feel about Pepsi's response? Share your thoughts at bringbackthe12pack.com.

By Matt O'Hern at 09:30 AM | Comments (93)

(93) Thoughts on Pepsi Responds to 8-Pack Outrage

I think we are going to see many strange things going in 2009 due to the economy. Usually not to benefit the consumer.

Comments by Nick Stamoulis : Friday, December 05, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I find it outrageous that I have to now pay the same amount or more for an 8 pack vs. a 12 pack......Because of this have been going to store and buying the better deal and most of the time I have been getting Coke.

Comments by Kat : Saturday, December 06, 2008 at 01:15 PM

I buy 1 case of Pepsi and Mt Dew a week (for 4 years) and I switched to other brands because of this.
Good job Pepsi, you got me to migrate to Sams and Coke.

Comments by ben casteel : Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 03:08 PM

Pepsi sent me the same letter. You know what to do switch to a different drink and put Pepsi out of business! Greed is all I can say, Pepsi like so many other corrupt companies is a very greedy organization. Coke here I come.

Comments by Noel Saldeen : Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 02:56 PM

I think that pepsi has made a HUGE mistake in coming out with the 8 and 16 pack, the price is the same and you get 1/3 less. I have switched to store brand now. I cant see paying 5 to 6 dollars for a 8 pack. I and my family have always been dedicated pepsi drinkers but now i guess it is time for us to change. If this is a marketing idea, its the worst one since "new Coke" get the Idea!

Comments by Robert : Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 05:05 PM

Not only did Pepsi change to the new 8 pack, they don't even offer DIET mountain dew in the 18 pack. It's not worth paying $12.00 at Albertson's to get three 8 packs to equal a 18 pack. I'm not buying it.

Comments by Terra : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM

thanks for the email address! I am definately writing her as soon as I am done here! I have been angry about this since I first saw it at the store!! I've been drinking Pepsi since i was a kid and it was in the glass bottles! Guess what...NO MORE!!! Pepsi can take a hike! I don't like coke so I guess it's sweet tea for me!

Comments by Jon : Sunday, January 04, 2009 at 04:01 PM

Never in my life has something ticked me off so much as to make me actually write a letter, but Pepsi has taken the prize. I cannot believe they think that getting rid of the 12 pack is a good idea. I loved diet pepsi and have purchased at least 1 carton a week as long as I can remember, but no longer. I just bought my first carton of diet COKE and it works for me! And if COKE goes to the 8 pack, I will go to the store brand and if they go to the 8 pack I will drink freaking tea! This little marketing ploy will do wonders for the rest of the beverage industry. Just out of curiosity, when was the last marketing campaign that received as many bitter complaints?
Nice job Pepsi,
Your friend,
COKE

Comments by Kim the x-pepsi drinker : Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 03:59 PM

we stopped purchasing all Pepsi products.
it was hard but we will not be fouls of.

Comments by sue : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 05:57 PM

we stopped purchasing all Pepsi products.
it was hard but we will not be made fouls of.

Comments by sue : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 05:57 PM

I am really mad about the 8 pack. With the economy going downhill, soda is definately a luxury. My husband and I love our soda. We don't really have any other vices, so we hadn't cut back on soda purchase. I drink Diet Coke, and he drinks Mt. Dew. But when we saw the new packaging we cut the Pepsi products off the shopping list. We feel it is important not to buy any Pepsi products during this time, or we may see Coke going the same route. How about Pepsi finding some other way to cut back costs? Maybe something like affordable in home soda fountains with good tasting pepsi options. This could help the environment (less cans and bottles...) and result in lower distributing costs for the soda companies. Why doesn't Pepsi put its efforts into being the first company to sucessfully go green ? rather than try to belittle their consumers?
www.ifidrewtheworld.blogspot.com

Comments by michelle : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I hate the new 8 packs--what a rip off! Also, they don't make Pepsi One in 18 packs. grrr

Comments by Kristine : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 07:46 PM

When I first saw the 8 pack hit the shelves I thought it was a joke! I looked at the cost per ounce and it was more expensive. I use to drink Diet Mt Dew. Not anymore. I drink Vault Zero now. Before this I was an avid Pepsi fan but this latest stunt to rip off the consumer under the guise of a 'better deal' was the last straw. Even if they bring back the 12 pack I doubt I will go back. Pathetic Pepsi, pathetic.

Comments by Mike : Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 01:38 PM

The problem is that the traditional unit is a multiple of six. Now the base unit is 8, but if you buy two 8 packs you get 2 cans less than if you buy the "case" of 18. The price points are the same. So, you have to buy the larger unit that costs the same as 24.

If one brand of gas went from $3 to $4 per gallon you'd find another gas station. It is the same thing here.

Comments by Kevin : Sunday, February 08, 2009 at 05:41 AM

Seems like a rip to me. You get more packaging per oz of product. I should be happy about this because I'm in the packaging business (wine labels) but this is not a good move on the part of Pepsi. I will no longer buy Pepsi soda at all. I think I'll just buy beer, than perhaps I could find a lawyer to file a law suit against Pepsi for causing me to become an alcoholic. Well maybe that's a bad way to go. Still, I can't buy any 8 pack products.

Comments by Zulbat : Sunday, February 08, 2009 at 08:35 PM

I am the usual Pepsi drinker and would always buy a 12 pack for the week if it was on promotion or not. First time I saw the 8-pack I actually bought my first coke 12 pack from the grocery store. This is a stupid move that I hope Coke doesn't follow and that they crush Pepsi into the ground.

Comments by Chad : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 09:56 AM

This is why I drink Coke

Comments by anon : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

who cares what they charge? This is an item with NO nutritional content, it is a complete luxury, compounding that, it is an unhealthy food item as well. If consumers purchase less of this product due to price increases then good on Pepsi for making this fat country a little less so...

Comments by lowerlaiudes : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I am sick and tired of corporate fat cats using the economy as an excuse to raise prices. They do this to increase profits while at the same time asking low paid workers to take cutbacks and layoffs. As far as pepsi is concerned, I drink Coke.

Comments by David S. Edmonds : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM

get used to it. as food prices go up, quality & quantity are going down. the restaurant with the best fried rice in austin (6 years in a row) has killed it with price cutting. THAT really hit me :)

Comments by smokin roach : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Dear Pepsi, your brilliant "packaging idea" was all the inspiration I needed to try Coke Zero. I like it better than Diet Pepsi and Pepsi One...and I definitely like being able to buy a 12-pack. So, please feel free to share my experience with the board and the genius VP at your company who thought an 8-pack was a great idea. I'm sure they have a good job for him/her over at General Motors where they need help with "downsizing" and someone talented enough who can finish running that company all the way into the ground.

Comments by Former Pepsi Customer : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM

what a bunch of scumbags.

I almost live on Mountain Dew but no longer. I will no longer be buying any Pepsi soda products or any other products that are part of the Pepsico company.

Comments by John in KC : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM

So what source materials have gone up in price? Water? Carbon Dioxide? Sweetener? It can't be the trace amounts of actual flavor. Sodas are an amazing way to charge more for water already.

Comments by A. L. Flanagan : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I think what Pepsi is saying in this letter is that they had to raise the prices on the drinks anyway, but by reducing it down to an 8-pack consumers can still buy some pepsi for the same price. Seems like a compromise to me.

If this isn't the case I wish you'd have mentioned in your article something about how their other pepsi products aren't going up in price... to highlight that 8-packs are indeed being used to scam us out of content for our money.

Comments by Consider the Economy : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Soda is terrible for you. You're better off not drinking any. There are many far, far better things to work yourself into a frothy rage about.

Comments by Johnson : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Who needs Pepsi, Coke or any other soft drink for that matter? Drink water its virtually free with no calories and wont rot your teeth out.

Comments by Kevin : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM

People are complaining about having to pay the same price for an 8 pack as they are for the old 12. Don't buy pepsi! That is your solution. If you are against it, don't buy it. People should be getting just as worked up over how corperations and our government are screwing us over, just as much as how pepsi is with their sugar water.

Comments by Austin : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:12 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all. Girl Scout cookies have been doing this for at least ten years now. Every year there is a bos that is just a BIT smaller but nobody seems to notice. I have stopped buying Girl Scout cookies because of this. These companies need to find better ways of fixing the economic problem within the company. How 'bout not paying the CEO's so much damn money. WE need to show our unity and not buy these products. No, wait, that will not happen because all you punks are addicted to caffine and they know it. They got you by the balls and you all are their bitches. I don't ingest addictive chemicals (nicotine,caffine,alcohol,or any type of drug)for this reason. We all fall into one of three catagories, we notice it and stop buying, don't notice it, or do notice it and still do nothing. The latter two constitute 99% of our retarded population.

Comments by Jake : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Screw Pepsi, and any other company (Dreyers Ice Cream, I'm looking at YOU) who reduce content while maintaining the same cost, thus raising price per unit for the consumer.

Comments by RRB : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I switched to soda concentrates years ago. $3.99 makes three gallons. AND they use real sugar.

Comments by David : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM

This sh*t is happening everywhere, my 20lb bag of IAMS dog food is now 17.5lbs at the same price, same with kraft mac&cheese, the 7oz. box is now 5.2oz at the same price. Don't even get me started on the 50 different sizes of cereal...

Comments by D S : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I only drink diet soda brands that use nutrasweet. Coke, Jones, Shasta. Since all pepsi offers is Rumsfeld's nurotoxin...I don't buy pepsi anyway.

Comments by Don't like poison : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to notice that Bumble Bee tuna quietly shrunk their cans from six ounces to five. Even my supermarket hadn't noticed.

Comments by KipEsquire : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM

That's the economy. I really don't see the outrage. They could make cans themselves smaller or the number of cans smaller. It's what they have to do. Just because they're a big corporation doesn't mean they're immune to the recession.

Comments by MJP : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Pepsi sucks anyway, too sweet for my taste. Buy coke instead and you can also use it for rust removal.

Comments by Dave : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM

The problem is that when the economy straightens out, they wont go back to the old way and lower price because the consumer will have adjusted to there new way of packaging and charging more. I now only buy 2 liters when they are on sale for 99 cents. I refuse to pay $1.69 for a 2 liter. The only way these companys will get a clue is when people stop purchasing there products. Ice cream companys did this a couple years ago when they went from 1/2 gal. to 1 and a half pints, yet kept the price the same or higher. Its getting to the point that if you dont make at least $20 per hour you cant have anything but you basic needs.

Comments by Jeff : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Comments by Jeff : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Pepsi offers their products for sale. If one does not like what is offered, there is no need to buy. Many alternatives exist including tap water for free.

Give Pepsi a break, they are doing what they think is best for the business.

The final decision rests with the consumer.

Comments by Marty : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:05 PM

You people realize this is soda we are talking about. It's time to stop worry about your soda and find out what is in the Obama Stimulus plan. You think your soda is expensive now!

Comments by Steve Sparkenickle : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:05 PM

What you forget is that cost to produce this product is very minimal. It is sugar water and a few ingredients. Something like 20 to 40 cents a can. When you have a markup this big there is no economic imperative but just more greed.

Comments by mark : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:10 PM

Personally I just stopped buying any Pepsi products after I saw they switched to eight packs and now buy Coke instead. Coke raised their prices a bit but on the whole their product comes out cheaper than Pepsi. I feel like Pepsi thinks we are idiots and are trying to rip off already broke consumers. Boo to Pepsi!

Comments by Lynda : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:11 PM

Don't buy pepsi then. A sharp drop in sales will be far more noticeable to them.

Comments by ErnestPayne : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:12 PM

People are too stupid to figure it out and Pepsi knows this.

Comments by James : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:21 PM

You know Sam's choice is just as good and costs $.89 for a two liter. I think this convinces me to stay with Coke though.

Comments by Brice H : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:28 PM

I used to drink pepsi back when I was a homeless rodeo clown but not any more. Now I am a world class magician !

Comments by FPM : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:37 PM

Hey, why not lose some weight and stop drinking this shit altogether?

Comments by Slurm : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 01:45 PM

This far in and I'm surprised the "generic / store-brand" option hasn't gotten more attention. Brice H is right -- though locally the Wal-Mart stores sell 2-liter bottles of their generics for $0.70 a piece instead of $0.89. Tastes good, easy on the wallet.

The aluminum can versions of these beverages is similarly inexpensive, though 2-liter is the cheapest option.

Comments by willfe : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 02:08 PM

Uh, they AREN'T THE SAME PRICE AS THE 12 PACKS YOU MORONS

Comments by Russell Harrison : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 02:20 PM

C'mon you "little" people! How in the heck can the executives at Pepsi maintain their luxuriant lifestyle in these hard times unless they gouge more from the peasantry? I'm sure not a single white collar wage has been cut....it's much better to tax the consumer.

Comments by Spacetrucker : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 02:38 PM

Coke sucks

Comments by FapFap : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 03:21 PM

I prefer Coke anyday anyway

Comments by Tim Buchanan : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 03:30 PM

Switch to sweet tea, Crystal light or flavored water. Too much HFCS in sodas.

Comments by You don't need all of that HFCS anyway : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 03:34 PM

Coke isn't any better. I was walking through Kroger and saw cases of Coke products for $5.99, which is a good deal around here. But a second look revealed that these were cases of 20, not 24.

Comments by Gman : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:00 PM

Another "we know whats good for you" idea but it's whats good for them, total idiots!!!! I stopped drinking Coca Cola when they switched the formula never went back and avoid their products. I'll do the same with Pepsi You ca't betray your loyal customers without a response or consequences, YOU"RE MORONS!!

Comments by Ill drink something else : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:05 PM

Pepsi and Pepsico sucks donkey. Drink Coke.

Comments by officewhore : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:08 PM

I think I'll stick with the soda fountain version, as I drink diet pepsi...and I personally can't stand what Diet Coke became, and well...it Diet pepsi comes out in 8packs out here, I think there will be a riot at the bottling factory in my town ;)

Comments by Megan : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:11 PM

i don't even drink soda, but this is typical American corporate greed at work. Pepsi is obviously hoping they can flim-flam the public, because they think that most people don't pay attention to unit pricing. one more instance of the greedy coporate fat-cats trying to screw the public. seems to me Pepsi needs to be taught a lesson...

Comments by winston rockwell : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:39 PM

Pepsi products taste the same as any other 17 cents a can megastore generic soda, especially cola.

If restaurants wake up to this Pepsi is done

We're not talking designer fashion here, its plain soda. You're stupid for buying name brand.

Comments by Chuck : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:44 PM

You bought 3 eight packs to be like an 18 pack you say? That is some good math there. I could have sworn 3x8=24.

And to another poster, I'm glad you won't be 'made fouls of'. Or fools even!

I completely agree with the sentiment- eight pack is sketchy and as long as twelves are around, coke is ahead. But check other things folks. A lot of boxed goods (cereal, chips, crackers, cookies, etc) are tweaking the ounces/pounds of their packaging as well, hoping that most folks will (more than likely) not notice. As the math genius I snarked on surely will not. Times are changing. If the producers are buckling down, skimping and possibly even saving, then perhaps you should think about doing so too!

Quit drinking soda! Guarantee you'll be healthier!

Comments by Imh0tep : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 05:18 PM

When I stare at these new 8 packs, I continue to think, "Ah, it is so nice to subsidize Pepsi's new marketing campaign. What a crock. My wife now buys like 8 of these of a time and I have to haul them upstairs. Thanks. I hate Pepsi. Diet Pepsi has always tasted like poison. If Coke follows this trend, I am going to simply drink water. Don't they make enough money on us? As has been said, every person reading this has had enough Pepsi and COke to piss either for 3 weeks straight. As the Boomers start dying off, corporations are going to have to adjust to a far more rational generation that is sick of being "sold."

Comments by Shane : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 05:54 PM

boycott soda.

Comments by jordan : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 06:12 PM

Its interesting to read the outrage here but I wonder how many of you will switch back anytime they put it on sale?

It's easy to say "I'll never use [insert brand] again!" but not so easy to stick to it weeks, months or years down the line. That's what's Pepsi is depending on, the fickleness of the American consumer.

Comments by JJ : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 06:49 PM

But it has what plants crave.

This article is brought to you by Carls Jr

Comments by Khummmarrr : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 07:14 PM

Really? You all are so bad at math that a change in pricing that coincides with a new size is going to completely outrage and confuse you?

Comments by Joshua Gruber : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 07:18 PM

If it's too expensive dont drink it. It's not good for you anyways

Comments by Grant : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 07:42 PM

I love all the self-proclaimed dieticians spouting the evils of soda.

I drink plenty of the stuff (granted, store brand, not Pepsi or Coke) and according to my last doctor's visit I'm in perfect health.

Comments by Isaac Jacobs : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 08:11 PM

Look at your beloved soups, cleaning products, pet food, tuna, etc- basically all companies have been doing this to their products for the past 5 years. Stop being so close minded about pepsi and think- did u ever buy less quantity of something at a time because the price had gone up and it was practical to do so? You bet- gas. Let them package it as they will, you'll all buy it anyway.

Comments by Reality : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Pepsico can do whatever the hell they want because I will NEVER purchase any of their products, EVER!

Comments by Dave M : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 09:27 PM

the caps are just a little over the top. Never is a long time, too. Maybe u meant "I won't buy pepsico until the next useless topic comes along that I have no say in, yet get absurdly angry over." honesty is the best policy.

Comments by What dave m meant to say : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 09:36 PM

Rude? I apologize, this is all just supremely hilarious though. Dave- feel free to injest or not to injest, i'm sure it won't matter.

Comments by What dave m meant to say : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 09:39 PM

A grocery store owner friend of mine said that this past year, Pepsi's management has clearly gone into group-think mode and believes that their product is increasingly inelastic, as "consumers will not switch from Pepsi to 'inferior' brands." They've reduced pricing promotions even before the slowdown and I believe the Wall Street Journal reported on Pepsi's aggressive intent to significantly increase pricing around late 2007.

I really do question the competence of their executive management. I'd expect their economists see the data; my anecdotal experience combined with the data my friend has shared with me on his independent store shows more than 50% of the market being price sensitive, and that trend has been increasing rapidly the past 6 months. Pepsi 2 liters collect dust at $1.59 when Coke is 3 for $4, and Dite Rite and such are moving at a constant inelastic clip. Indeed, the inelastic portion of the market has already shifted down to inferior goods.

Thankfully I don't own Pepsi stock other than in some of my broad market indexes.

Comments by HatlessHessian : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 09:49 PM

yes well bryers ice cream did the same thing months ago ...their half gallon is no longer a half gallon
i think its about 20% smaller for the same price
look at chip bags..way more air than chips...we consumers just have to be aware & just dont buy them
write & tell them & then actually follow thru...then they will have sales drops and then respond to us..buying power is agood thing ..besides we should all probably
all consume less soda, ice cream, chips, etc....

Comments by d : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM

What are you guys thinking? Are you all on drugs? Do uou think that we are all idiots? I am 66 years old and have been a loyal pepsi consumer all of my life. No more & never again. FY you greedy bastards.

Comments by McShadow : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM

People need to simply stop buying and promoting companies like this. That is the only way these greedy companies will see the light.

Comments by Chris R. : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Perhaps don't drink unhealthy sodas? Try something like Crystal Light, or make your own iced teas, mix it up - you'll save money and it's a much healthier choice.

Comments by Goater : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 02:59 PM

I have two other petitions as follows:
* Bring back the 3 liter bottle.
* Kill anyone who spells it litre.

It's time we take back what's ours!! Who's with me?!

Comments by Richard Brannigan : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 04:58 PM

I think you guys drink way too much soda! WOW.

Comments by Rooster : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 05:02 PM

i have noticed in my travels that pepsi and coke offer the same variants of products, the 16.9oz 6pack and the 12oz 8packs are pepsi's attempt to be the same as coke, coke has had these packages for years and no one ever complained about them

Comments by Daniel : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 05:17 PM

They're not the only ones scamming this way. Have you noticed the incredible shrinking DiGiorno pizzas? Those suckers used to be HUGE, and now they're about the same size as a Totinos, but the price has not gone down, and if anything has gone UP.

Comments by Brad : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 07:44 PM

Who cares?! You guys are complaining about a product that is nothing but sugar and water. ANY price you pay is too expensive. Next people will be complaining that Rolexes are too costly - you are buying an image, not an actual necessity. Get a life!

Comments by Andy : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 07:47 PM

I blame economic pressures, not Pepsi. Given the current economic situation, I would rather buy an 8-pack for $3.50 than a 12-pack for $4.50. Perhaps that holds true with some of you as well. I think that's what Pepsi is trying to argue; the average consumer wants smaller portions given their economic situation. And this is all coming from a hardcore Coke fan.

Comments by Joe Dirt : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Lower said the perfect comment above. Here's a thought: STOP DRINKING USELESS, WORTHLESS, NUTRITIONLESS soft drinks! And to the idiot who said "if one brand of gas sold a dollar higher, you'd go to the next station"....I'd be a cold, cold day in hell before that happened. Gas stations do not set the prices, for one thing. And a brand of gas that sold for a dollar less would lose its ass very quickly-gasoline is tied to the price of a barrel of oil, not on the whim of some scrooge mcduck character diving into a pool of gold coins.

Bottom line: Cry about something else than your high fructose corn syrup, empty calorie, muffin-top creating drink. Or shut up and pay extra to be fat.

Comments by deez : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 04:31 PM

actually gas is tied to the refineries. Not the price of oil per se. If you haven't been noticing, the price of gas has risen slightly. That's because the refineries are cutting back, but yet oil on the market kept dropping. Just wanted to clear that up.

Oh and BTW some stores coke is doing the same thing has pepsi. 8 and 18 packs.. thank god for wal-mart still carrying the 24's of coke and sometimes pepsi 24 cubes

Comments by will : Monday, February 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Just go to another brand. What a rip-off that these companies are taking advantage of people when the economy is in the tank and then to send out a letter that is truly offensive to anyone with a pulse. When an 8 pack costs the same as a 12 pack used to, that's a price increase. I want 48 cans for $10...if I can't have that, I don't buy anymore!

Comments by Donald Rull : Monday, February 23, 2009 at 07:50 PM

I hate to bring this to your attention, but as a former Pepsi employee, whose plant was recently closed, many of the products you are consuming other than beverage are also Pepsi products so you are getting screwed by Pepsi in more ways than one...Quaker Oats, Aquafina, Gatorade, Frito Lay just to name a few of the brand names under the Pepsi banner.....

Comments by Deb : Friday, March 13, 2009 at 09:31 AM

here, we still have 12 packs of pepsi as well as 24 pack cubes of pepsi. some areas have 8 packs instead of 12.

Comments by edwin : Friday, May 22, 2009 at 02:24 PM

I just left our weekly sales meeting at Pepsi and I can happily announce that Pepsi is bringing back the 12 pack!Thank God!!!!!!!

Comments by geriatric hero : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:51 PM

I hate having to buy 8-packs. Since this new packaging I hunt for the 12 packs of any soda. It is easier to carry one 12 pack of coke vs. 2 8 packs. I hope Pepsi switches back to the 12-pack soon.

Comments by Annoyed with Pepsi : Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 08:34 PM

My Husband and I sre true Diet Pepsi addicts and because of the increase on the 24 pack, we have had no choive then to swutch to Diet Coke! What is PepsiCo thinking????

Comments by Bella : Monday, June 15, 2009 at 06:57 PM

thank you for bringing back the 12 pack lets keep thoes specials going

Comments by lil Danny : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 04:38 PM

i only get 2 liters.. cans are too expensive, even if u recycle them. not worth it.

Comments by the_dude : Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 03:17 PM

Has anywone noticed how hard it is to open this shrink wrapped 8 packs? The only way is to have some scissors around and cut it open after placing in the fridge...

Comments by chris : Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 01:23 PM

I just want to know what happened to the 24oz bottles. Are there not going to be anymore ever?!!!

Comments by Judy Holm : Monday, June 13, 2011 at 02:09 PM