Main > Archives > 2008 > October > Pepsi Tests New 8-pack to See if Smaller is Better

Friday, October 24, 2008

Pepsi Tests New 8-pack to See if Smaller is Better

During your last trip to the grocery store, you may have noticed a few changes in the soft drink aisle. If you're a fan of Pepsi, Mug Root Beer, Sierra Mistor Mountain Dew, you probably already know what I'm talking about.
Pepsi Bottling Group has officially applied the "smaller is better" philosophy to its packaging. The 12-pack we've all become accustomed to has been temporarily phased-out and replaced by an 8-pack in 20% of America's stores, including the state of Florida, my home state.

Pepsi claims higher prices for energy and food combined to raise expenses by 11%/ They're betting the 8-pack will appear as a better value to consumers. Who does Pepsi think they're fooling?
The 8-pack might be easier to carry around, but that's where the "value" ends for me. I'm used to paying about $3.50 to $4.50 for a 12-pack, $10 for three 12-packs during specials. I just paid $3.50 for the new 8-pack at Publix, which shows that Pepsi is out of touch with the average shopper.

A 6-pack is convenient if you're heading to the beach or having a grill-out with a couple friends, and the 12-pack was perfect to throw in the fridge for a week's supply. Unless I stock-up, buying an 8-pack means I'll be heading back to the grocery store within a couple days. Evidently, I'm not the only consumer who hates the new packaging.
Pepsi spokesmen Jeff Dahncke claims the 12-pack is a thing of the past. He told the St. Petersburg Times.

Pepsi 8 Pack

Want proof the 12-pack-which accounts for half of all soft drink sales - outlived its appeal? Even when Pepsi cut prices, sales volume was only half what it used to be.

Dahncke overlooked many possible contributing factors for the sales slump-including health. An obesity epidemic and an increase in juvenile diabetes cases have combined to raise the public's concern for healthier lifestyles. I'm sure you have a few friends or family members who removed soda from their diet or drastically reduced their daily intake of carbonated beverages.

John Sicher, publisher of Beverage Digest, said the industry "overused" the 12-pack, and that Pepsi's latest move is just the first of many transition tests that consumers will see.

So what can we expect to see next? According to the St. Petersburg Times, Pepsi will phase- out 2-liter bottles in favor 1.5. It will also replace those 20-ounce bottles we often buy at the gas station with 12-ounce plastic bottles and 16-ouncecans.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. After all, the notion of "change" has become quite popular this year.

Subscribe to our RSS feed for the latest updates.

***UPDATE: Tell Pepsi your thoughts at bringbackthe12pack.com.

**UPDATE: READ PEPSI'S  RESPONSE TO THIS POST.

(54) Thoughts on Pepsi Tests New 8-pack to See if Smaller is Better

If Mr. Dahncke is correct, I've bought my last Diet Dr. Pepper. I have one 12-pack the frig in my garage. When it's gone, I'm done drinking Pepsi products--until they bring back the 12-pack.

Comments by Troy Worman : Friday, October 24, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I've been drinking mt. dew for as long as I can remember, and now when I go to the store and pay the same price for 8 less cans really p-sses me off! I'm thinking of switching to coke!
First its the gas companies.. now its Pepsi company! Who else is in line?

Comments by Jason Smith : Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 03:47 PM

I'm switching to cherry coke

Comments by junie joy : Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 07:54 PM

This is a terrible idea.

Oh well, I like Pibb Xtra almost as much as Dr Pepper (there's no period in "Dr").

Comments by Lance Quagmire : Monday, October 27, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Coke is coming out with the 8 pack as well.......

Comments by Pepsi Man : Monday, October 27, 2008 at 08:38 PM

The 8 packs are a pain. I want my 12 pack back!!

Comments by Jodie : Friday, October 31, 2008 at 09:38 AM

I will not buy pepsi unless its in the 12 can frig pack. Such a perfect size box and the dumbasses take a good thing out of stores. Pepsi can kiss my ass! Dumb fucks

Comments by Pepsi nut : Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 09:32 AM

12 can frig pack or nothing! I will not buy an 8 pack.

Comments by ExPepsi drinker : Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 09:34 AM

12 can frig pack or nothing

Comments by 8 packs blow : Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 10:00 AM

This is the first part of Obama's change. Our world will be so screwed up after 4 years. Milk will come in sandwich bags. Donuts will no longer have holes. All meats will be canned.

Comments by me : Wednesday, November 05, 2008 at 10:06 AM

My family and have been extremely loyal Pepsi product customers... However, if this 8-pack and
18-pack cube bullsh!# doesn't cease pretty soon, we'll all be taking our business elsewhere. Not only do we almost exclusively buy Pepsi products in the supermarkets, gas stations, convenient stores and vending machines, we also purposely seek out and dine in restaurants and frequent bars/nightclubs, etc. that are pro Pepsi... And buy the way, who the bloody F--K does Pepsi think they're kidding with this "Less is Better" fu#@ig approach??? What Marketing genious thought of this utter bulls%!t?... They are obviously taking the Global Market for a bunch of collective fools... This is just another scheme for the executive "Fat Cats" and greedy shareholders to pad their bank accounts and doing so when our economy is in a serious quandry. How ruthless will they get? Well, I, for one, will not stand for it! I guess if I have to resort to acting childish with the millions of Worldwide anti-Pepsi blogging campaign efforts I will help to start and continue to angrily "run-a-muck" with, then, I might as well also revert back to my childhood beverage... "Cool Aid!"- "OH, YEHH!!!" (Besides, children never seemed to get fat in the old days drinking Cool Aid, which was made with a mere cup of sugar VS. the 6-9 some-odd tables of sugar compounds found in the average full calorie soft drink product!)So, as far as Pepsi's fuck-d-up reasoning about their supposed concern over their consumer's; health issues... I say, (in the famous words of T.V. character Frank Barrone of "Everybody Loves Raymond"-
"What a load of crap!" Pepsi, nor any other soft drink company in the history of soda pop has given a "rat's a$$" about anyone's health, with possibly the exception of Faygo (who has always attempted to produce low-calorie substitutions); everyone else out on the market is interested in only one thing... Creating an addictive "CASH COW"- And don't
let anybody make you think differently! Come on people, wake up and smell the cola nut!... Or, at least smell this great, big pile of manure Pepsi's trying to sell us! Use your self-control... Fight back!... And Boycott these pin heads until we get back our 12 and 24 packs!. "12/24- We want more!"... "12/24- We want more!"...
!2/24- We want more!"...."12/24-...

Comments by erin Mulvaney : Thursday, November 06, 2008 at 03:07 PM

This attempt to fool the american consumer by Pepsi is quite ridiculous. I recently purchased an 8 pack of diet pepsi for $3.39. That equals $0.42 per can. At that price a 12 pack would cost $5.08! So, Pepsi, how is less more for us, the consumer. I only see this working in your favor. You provide less product and we pay you more money. And in regards to you attempt on reducing production cost is all smoke and mirrors as well. If the volumetric demand for your product remains at its current rate and you reduce the size of your containers you will need to utilize more resources to meet your bottling and canning needs. Think of it this way. If I go through 6 liters of Soda a week I will buy 3,2-liter bottles. To purchase the same amount in 1.5-liter bottles I will need to buy 4 bottles. This would equal 52 more bottles a year that I would have to purchase causing me to absorb your over all higher bottling cost. if you would like to user the less is more approach uses it effectively as it was intended to be used. Use less resources by using larger containers.

Comments by Matt Massoud : Friday, November 07, 2008 at 08:46 AM

In case you didn't know it is not all Pepsi who makes the pricing. Pepsi recommends a $2.99 regular price for the 8- pack in each of their stores. It is Publix who then takes that price and add the extra to it to make it $3.39. It is Publix who is the one running the scam. Publix where shopping is better and more expensive. The 8 pack is a cheaper price per can at $.37. A 12 pack at regular price is $4.89 at $.41 per can. Pepsi is actually making it cheaper per can. Do the math before you complain. It is just people not willing to change. Blame Publix not Pepsi.

Comments by Pepsi man : Friday, November 07, 2008 at 04:46 PM

What is up with the weird loyalty to Pepsi? 'Dear Pepsi, thank you for distributing potable chemicals that will make my family and i fat and unhealthy. In return, I will buy lots of your products and continue to be a moron.'

Comments by alec : Sunday, November 09, 2008 at 08:43 PM

PBG can package however they want and charge whatever they want for all I care.
I am ignoring PBG products until they stop making Pepsi with HFCS.

Until then, they can just hang and I'll find my sugar made soda elsewhere.

Comments by 2oonhed : Monday, November 10, 2008 at 07:11 AM

You people need to invest in a calculator. The idea is to have $2.99 every day retail. Which is $.37 per can. Publix sold the 12 pack off add at $4.79, that $.39 a can. If Publix would get on the program like every other retailer the math works out for the consumer. Go to Wal-Mart and buy them for $2.50, that's $.31 a can and find something else to bitch about!

.39
.37

Comments by Pepsi Man : Monday, November 10, 2008 at 08:37 PM

Is there someplace to email a complaint? I know enough diet Pepsi addicts who will want to voice their objections to this latest ploy to screw the consumer.

Comments by Roxanne : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 01:56 PM

matt: great article...you're famous!

Comments by rick ohern : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 09:56 PM

I've bought my last Pepsi product until the sensibly package and priced 12 pack returns.

Comments by Jay Dusek : Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I usually buy (2) 24 pack cubes of Pepsi every week for 6.99 at Walmart. That equals .29 cents a can! This 8 pack sh!t sucks! I am going to be looking toward going to another drink of choice.

Comments by Crystal : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 05:39 PM

Pepsi is obviously counting on people who cannot do basic math. Give it up Pepsi!

Comments by Yolanda : Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 03:41 PM

Longtime pepsi drinker here...no more. They just think we wont notice. I heard coke may do same. I myself have switched to publix 12 packs here in fla, 2.50 each and taste ok, so screw pepsi.

Comments by Steve : Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 11:14 PM

you know their motivation behind this.. the slightly lower price of the 8 pack is better for the impulse purchase.. even though people know they're getting 8 cans, subconsciously the lower price overrules it. They expect us to overlook the fact we're actually paying a higher price by volume.. for a company that produces so many cans per day, if they can make us pay for an extra can by buying an 8 pack, it adds up quite fast.. they're getting their bailout in a slightly hidden way.. either way it comes out of our a**es.

It reminds me also of the genius idea of the bread manufacturers to only package hot dog buns in packs of 8.. so when you buy a pack of 10 hot dogs you of course need more than one pack of buns to cover it. But then what with the extra buns? more dogs!! then more buns, more dogs more buns! So now if we need 12 cans we have to buy 2- 8 packs.. and they profit due to the higher volume cost.

Believe me, Pepsi is like any other business.. they aren't concerned about the health of the nation enough to suggest we buy less of their product...

Comments by scott : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 09:50 PM

Pepsi is a "thing of the past" for me until they go back to 12 packs!

Comments by Susan : Monday, December 01, 2008 at 07:24 PM

When they bring back the 12-pack I'll start buying Pepsi again, until then there will be not a single Pepsi product in my house.

Comments by Derek : Monday, December 01, 2008 at 08:25 PM

Pepsi is phasing out the 12 pack? Well I'll be phasing out Pepsi. I'm tired of big corporations scamming the little guy.

Comments by John : Tuesday, December 02, 2008 at 07:03 PM

What about the carbon footprint? An 8-pack means I have to buy more often, creating more packaging...etc, etc...I'm boycotting all 8 packs!

Comments by Kim : Wednesday, December 03, 2008 at 01:25 PM

Am i wrong in noticing that the pepsi cube is ALSO phasing out in lieu of a new 18 pack????? I just don't get it...someone else mentioned earlier that this means more packaging...what was that about the reason for change having to do with energy and environmental issues?

Comments by Chris : Wednesday, December 03, 2008 at 02:18 PM

Let PepsiCo know what you think of its new packaging at:

Comments by dhfl143 : Thursday, December 04, 2008 at 04:32 PM

Read Pepsi's response to this post.

Comments by Matt O'Hern : Friday, December 05, 2008 at 09:41 AM

Great subject Matt. I agree with the comments, soda should be in 12 packs!! 8 cans isn't enough, and we don't like change.

Comments by Tiffany Compton : Friday, December 05, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Once Pepsi brought about the 8 can box and stopped offering 12 can, I began getting the Coke 12 packs routinely. Prior to that I would go back and forth between brands depending on price. I figure Pepsi's blunder means approx 100.00 I don't spend a year on Pepsi. I like Pepsi more, but I can deal with drinking Coke regularly rather then be bamboozled.

Comments by george : Sunday, December 07, 2008 at 02:41 PM

Suck my D*^% and lick my hairy balls, PEPSICO!!!- You suck !!!

Comments by Sir Bitch-a-Lot : Friday, December 12, 2008 at 08:52 AM

Hey, Pepsi!!! All of my bitchy friends and I have developed an "on-the-rag" attitude towards PepsiCo and any other jackassed, follower companies who subscribe to this "Less is More" horseshit! Who the hell do you think still commands the consumer market in this country?... Let me remind you, (PepsiCo Board Members and Shareholders)... "WOMEN!!!" Get f*#@$!G real, you greedy bastards!
Don't think that the American Consumers are fools- We're all on to you! Get with the program, or get phased out like the
dinosaurs,;cause if this keeps up-
we'll freeze your asses into the "Ice Age!"

Comments by Miss Pissy : Friday, December 12, 2008 at 09:11 AM

Purely on principle, I always wait for a great sale, like $1.99-$2.50 for the 12-pack cases at places like gas stations which seem to have sales like this about every
2-3 months on the average where I live in the Ft.Lauderdale, FL. area to purchase my Pepsi Products... (I never pay more than $3.00 bucks a 12-pack!) Then, I'll go hog-assed wild and purchase an absolutely obscene amount, usually around 50+++ cases!... (What can I say, we have a large Irish-Catholic family and we tend to entertain a lot!)

This 8-pack & 12-pack situation "ain't-gonna-fly" around here, Pepsi!- We'll be buying anything and everything that we can find in a 12 or 24-pack case until "kingdom Come" or until you meet our demands!... (Remember- I'm principled when it comes to my purchases!) Especially now, in this economy!!!

Comments by Fan No More : Friday, December 12, 2008 at 09:29 AM

i want my 12 pack back. i was a loyal pepsi drinker. loed my mountain dew. my wild cherry pepsi. but no more. bring back the 12 pack, or cut the price of the 8 pack to reflect to loss of 4 cans.

Comments by 4 short : Saturday, January 03, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I am creating a Face book Page title BRING BACK THE 12 PACK Join TODAY .... And To who Created this website Sorry for Plagerising LOL :)

Comments by Ryan Galbraith : Monday, January 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM

don't drink that shit.problem solved.

Comments by homer_j_simpson : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 02:18 PM

Diet Lime Coke rocks!

Comments by souf : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 03:20 PM

Anyone who buys and drinks that overpriced sugar water is a sucker anyway. I haven't had a soda in about five years. I don't need that garbage.

Comments by wcf : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 03:52 PM

I have seen this many times over with other products. They reduce the size but leave the larger size price intact. They say they are saving you the trouble of a price increase. I guess the same price for less product is not more. The sad part comes down the road when they have slid the scenario of gettin less for the same price into an accepted practice. THAT'S WHEN THE ACTUAL PRICE INCREASE IS INTRODUCED. Thus the companies wack the consumer with a double whammy. It is done with the smiling face and show of concern for the consumer.

Comments by jimmiethepen : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:43 PM

Hey, Kick the High Fructose Corn Syrup addiction.

It makes you fat!

Comments by Jack : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 04:46 PM

What a bunch of sheep...either accept times are tough and they are trying to keep prices the same, or buy into a bunch of rhetoric. You know as well as I do that Pepsi is the better soda if you are a Pepsi lover. My wife does not agree, loyal Coke drinker. We also only drink a few sodas a week...less than 5. They are bad for you, they are an indulgence. Break out the glass, fill it with water as your staple, and enjoy a tasty beverage (beer, scotch, Pepsi) when appropriate. You have not been cut off from your life-line, you are paying more in a bad economy.

Comments by jasonc : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 05:58 PM

Here's a theory: Pepsi just want you and the many obese people who drink far too much garbage to drink less softdrinks.

The reason for the 8 pack is also that because their consumers are so unfit: they're worried about a lawsuit when they claim a strained back from unloading the 10 value packs of pepsi and boxes of wings dipped in peanut butter and triple marinated in bacon fat that they'll be washing down.

Here's a thought: try drinking water (tap water mind you) or perhaps fruit juice. Whinging about having your bulk sugar fix made somewhat less bulk is hilarious. "Oh you can't charge more for your product, it must stay price fixed for all eternity or else how else can I maintain my huge girth".
They may have just saved you from a heart attack at 30.

Comments by Nathan Lee : Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 07:17 PM

Here's a suggestion... Just stop drinking that shit. I did 2 years ago after watching a sobering documentary on suger and the people behind it. I even lost a few pounds and I've never felt better.

Clean, clear water is virtually free an sooo much better for you.

Kick the habit. You'll be glad you did and this 'less is more' shit won't bother you at all.

Comments by Bastet : Monday, February 16, 2009 at 02:04 AM

People are going to stop buying it because the 12-pack is gone? What the heck is wrong with people?

I've never bought soda without checking the price-per-can. It doesn't make a lick of difference to me if it comes in 8, 12, or 17 packs.

Comments by Christian Buhl : Sunday, March 08, 2009 at 02:19 PM

what gets me is the fact that they say that prices for energy and food combined to raise expenses by 11% so they had to cut it down to 8- packs but how much did they spend on the new logo? even tho its the same they had to pay someone top dollar to think it up and change. you wanna cut back on spending the cut back the bonus money that you throw at guys making millions already they dont need it they are fine with what they have thats where you f-ing up pepsi. GIVE US THE REAL REASON

Comments by billy : Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 01:29 AM

Coke is now selling cans in the 8-packs.

Diet Rite, here I come.

Comments by Bruce Spence : Monday, March 30, 2009 at 09:42 AM

Biggest mistake ever. I switched to coke today and now I like the taste.

Comments by Chieftain : Friday, April 03, 2009 at 03:10 PM

Biggest mistake ever. I switched to coke today and now I like the taste.

Comments by Chieftain : Friday, April 03, 2009 at 03:18 PM

12 packs of pepsi seen again in FL. Have they seen the light?

Comments by Steve : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 01:12 PM

really?? It's that upsetting? I wish i had such a smooth life that this was the only thing to worry about.
did you stop drinking Pepsi and Coke discarded 16 oz returnables? Did you stop drinking it when they stopped using sugar for corn syrup? Did you stop drinking coffee when it went to a 36 oz can from 48?

get a grip folks.

Comments by grammrsnob : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Yea, how'd you know? Maybe my family will get rich from lawsuit due to my untimely death because of Pepsi. My life WAS smooth up till then.
How can I ever continue...

Comments by Steve : Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 01:14 PM

Try this one here in California...I usually buy the diet dr pepper in those little 12oz bottles that come in the 12 pack for 4.99. I go in today and they are now in 8 packs and are 5.99..so we lost 4 bottles and the price went up!!! So instead of spending $5.00 to get through the week I will have to buy 2 8 packs and spend $12.00 I don't mind the cans, but I have gotten ahold of some that taste like the can and they go flat faster.
Seems the sales are going to go down..I will not buy anymore unless it is a darn good price!!!

Comments by Tammy : Sunday, August 09, 2009 at 10:27 PM