Friday, August 25, 2006
Google Wifi Exclusive ScreenShotsRecieved some Google Wifi Screenshots for those that are interested. Also here are some interesting notes regarding Google Wifi.
1) GMail account is not required to create a new account, however, once registered there is a bizarre optional sign up path (Put in your mobile number and they text message you with an invitation code)
2) Splash Page URL: http://www.google.com/ig?wifi=mv
3) Pretty useless map to find Access Points (It must be old or something)
4) Local content is supplied by AOL
5) Free “secure access” download
6) Links to high power CPE vendors for indoor use
7) The attached photo shows the Tropos Access Point annoyingly placed right over the Microsoft sign to the SVC campus
Couple things I find interesting:
1.) When I was in San Jose a few weeks back at SES the city of San Jose was having a week long festival called 01. It was all about celebrating art and technology in San Jose and they had free wifi during the festival but the free wifi is now a permanent part of San Jose. But, Google had nothing to do with the festival. They didn't sponsor it at all (in any visible way at least).
2.) One of the projects involved blogging pigeons. Pigeons that had transponders and were collecting pollution & temperature data during the festival and sending the data to a live blog. Now since Google owns Blogger and there's a standing joke about Pigeon Rank, why in the heck didn't Google have anything to do with that project? Seems like a no-brainer to me but who knows?!
By Jason Dowdell at 10:32 PM | Comments (4)